Multiple resolutions vs. larger images and zoom (performance Android)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Multiple resolutions vs. larger images and zoom (performance Android)

#1 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

So I am making a new Android game with more a lot more sprites than my recent games. I have come to a point where I need variation in the shots and I am looking to use close ups of full body shots.

I am wondering whether I should be using a strategy that uses one large image per pose and scale it down with zoom for full body shots or if I should just render multiple resolutions to reduce possible performance issues associated with using larger images and zoom.

Are these things still a problem for Android devices? The artwork is vector art and then rendered at whatever resolution I need, so that is not the bottleneck. The style is also a very flat cartoony style, so perspective is also not the issue. I am more worried about:

a) avoid potential performance issues if they are likely to happen and
b) overall file size of the game as it will eventually contain several short stories and thus more artwork and end up as a much bigger game than my previous games.

I guess it is about balance.
What is the best way to test performance requirements?
What performance requirements do you think I should be aiming for in order to reach a wider audience?

Hmm not sure if this is creator discussion or Renpy Questions. Thanks for your time!