Is it better to have one large script or multiple smaller ones? (SOLVED)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Settle for Pocky
Regular

Is it better to have one large script or multiple smaller ones? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by Settle for Pocky »

I've been working on my project now and always just kind of looking through tutorials and other people's work every now and then and have seen some people with only a few chapters and then some with 20+ chapters.

Is it easier for ren py to have one long script or many shorter scripts?
I've been using the folding system so far but have put all my variables/images/story on one script. Should I separate them and if so what's the best way to go about doing this?

thanks again,
Pat
Last edited by Settle for Pocky on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Re: Is it better to have one large script or multiple smaller ones?

#2 Post by Obscura »

I believe I asked this question a while ago and the answer was that it doesn't matter in terms of performance.
In terms of organization, I find it easier to have multiple files to allow me to search/replace things for one particular section instead of the entire script at once (which can still be done, it just involves an extra step or two, depending on the editor you use.)

As long as the labels are unique and you're formatting your init properly, I believe it's all the same to Renpy, since it's going to be looking for those regardless one by one.

I also find separate .rpys for sprites, styles, GUI, story, variables, etc. are a lot easier to maintain. Though if you have a very short game it won't matter.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'm fairly sure this post is a spambot copy and paste tactic.
The wording is identical to an older post.
Typically, these posts will not be revisited by the OP, and a week or two later, after everyone has forgotten about the thread, they edit the post and fill it with spam.

If this is not the case, I apologise. Posting will help clear any doubts.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Settle for Pocky
Regular

#4 Post by Settle for Pocky »

This is not a copy/paste deal. I'm very sorry. I will delete this as soon as you respond. I will dig deeper into the forums next time :(
I don't want to bloat the forum

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

No no, there is no problem with the post, I was just suspicious because we get a lot of spambots around here.

There is no need to use an older post. Thank you for confirming you are at least human ;D
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter