Is it possible to have two different Say Screens?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
abeplaga
Regular

Is it possible to have two different Say Screens?

#1 Post by abeplaga »

Good day! So, I ask about the title. For example, a game with two locations where in one the dialogue box is below and the graphics (characters, background ...) above and in the other location is upside down: the dialog box above and the graphics below.

I think it can only be achieved with two different Say Screens but I don't know if it is possible... I've been doing some tests to see if I could get it but I've barely gotten close. I am not a very advanced user :(

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Is it possible to have two different Say Screens?

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

abeplaga wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:18 pm Good day! So, I ask about the title. For example, a game with two locations where in one the dialogue box is below and the graphics (characters, background ...) above and in the other location is upside down: the dialog box above and the graphics below.

I think it can only be achieved with two different Say Screens but I don't know if it is possible... I've been doing some tests to see if I could get it but I've barely gotten close. I am not a very advanced user :(
yes.
My answer in the thread linked below should get you started.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=53568

abeplaga
Regular

#3 Post by abeplaga »

Per K Grok wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:02 pm
abeplaga wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:18 pm Good day! So, I ask about the title. For example, a game with two locations where in one the dialogue box is below and the graphics (characters, background ...) above and in the other location is upside down: the dialog box above and the graphics below.

yes.
My answer in the thread linked below should get you started.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=53568
Thank you! How easy it seems now!

One question that has come up... In the other Say Screen is it possible to change the size and color of the font without affecting the original Say Screen?

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

#4 Post by Per K Grok »

abeplaga wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:09 pm

One question that has come up... In the other Say Screen is it possible to change the size and color of the font without affecting the original Say Screen?
It's always easier when you know how :)

This is, I think, the easiest way to handle the size and color question. You could change the font too in a similar way.
"what" is the text of what is said. "who" would be the text with the name of the character speaking.
There is a lot of different things you can do.

define Poh = Character("Paul", image="Pl", what_size=20, what_color=""F8F", window_style="window2")

abeplaga
Regular

#5 Post by abeplaga »

Per K Grok wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:39 am
abeplaga wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:09 pm

It's always easier when you know how :)

This is, I think, the easiest way to handle the size and color question. You could change the font too in a similar way.
"what" is the text of what is said. "who" would be the text with the name of the character speaking.
There is a lot of different things you can do.

define Poh = Character("Paul", image="Pl", what_size=20, what_color=""F8F", window_style="window2")
Yeah, it works! Knowing this I can do many things ^^ Thank you very much :D