How to import a project on a shared drive accessed by multiple users

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
teh

How to import a project on a shared drive accessed by multiple users

#1 Post by teh »

Hello,
The project I'm working on is hosted on Sharepoint, in a project folder my artist and the other members of the projects have access to, to tinker with as needed. I also have access to this folder from several computers.

Since this is synced using OneDrive, I'm trying to find a way to make it so that all users/pcs can have the same Renpy project installed across multiple computers.

I haven't seen a way, when installing Renpy, to import an existing project from somewhere wholesale. I know you can create a project and then copy folders into it, but it completely defeats the point: I want to use something that's already somewhere, not make a copy of it.

Did I perhaps miss something in the documentation? I know this is most likely an edge case, but it'd make our lives quite a bit easier.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How to import a project on a shared drive accessed by multiple users

#2 Post by rayminator »

(because it's not possible to do it that way) - this if you don't have your own server

it's best thing to do is make a schedule for everyone that's working on your projects

but it is possible if you have your own server and give them access to it but it cost $$$$

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#3 Post by Remix »

I *think* you would need to set up Sharepoint linked to a local folder (on each platform) so it takes care of the versioning then just point the Ren'Py launcher at that folder.
You could alternatively just put the synchronized folder anywhere and have your team create their own projects.txt file to handle both the synched and local projects.

When a file named projects.txt is present in the projects directory, it is expected to contain a list of full paths to directories, one per line. Those paths are treated as projects and displayed in the launcher.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

teh

#4 Post by teh »

The projects.txt file did the trick, thanks!

teh

#5 Post by teh »

And I wish I'd added a couple of tips for this, since I am adding on a new collaborator and have to figure out what the projects directory is or where it is located. Yay me!