This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
- Ren'Py Creator
- Posts: 15364
- Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:58 am
- Completed: Moonlight Walks
- Projects: Ren'Py
- IRC Nick: renpytom
- Github: renpytom
- itch: renpytom
- Location: Kings Park, NY
This morning I was reflecting on how Ren'Py has changed over the past five years or so. And weirdly, I sort of compare it to what a child goes through in their life during these same years. For the past decade, it was pretty clear what the direction of Ren'Py would be. Well, not entirely - I went off on a ton of tangents. But I had set out some goals for Ren'Py 7 years and years ago, and last year, those were finally achieved.
For me, the story of Ren'Py is the way it's coming into its own. For years, it was a project made up of mostly my own work, but it is now getting a regular stream of contributions from others - features, bug reports, even ports to platforms I never thought possible. (And that's not the only one. :X) When I first started developing Ren'Py, I thought there might be 50 games made with it, tops. As of this writing, Ren'Py has been used to make thousands and thousands of games - and even been the star of a few of them, something I never would have even thought of.
Right now, for the first time in a long time, I really have no idea where Ren'Py will be in five years, as I and others work to guide it to new places. Ren'Py's future has opened up a bit - if I had to stretch a metaphor, it's getting to the point in the teenage years where the direction of your life is no longer completely set out by your parents, and there are many places you can go. And I'm here proud of all the places Ren'Py has been, just like I am of all the places it's going. I look forward to being a part of that future.
I'd like to thank you for reading this, everyone who's worked on it with me, everyone who's found problems for me to fix (or tested and not found any), and of course, everyone who creates with Ren'Py.
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Silly and fun things are important." - Elon Musk
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom
- Posts: 365
- Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 8:12 am
- Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club
- Location: Taiwan
Renpy Creators and Enthusiasts Facebook Group
My latest game:
Famous Fables: Read, Learn and Play - Android App for teaching children to read
Creative Commons stuff:
100+ 360° photos of Japan,
- Eileen-Class Veteran
- Posts: 1901
- Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:58 pm
- Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
- Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
- Organization: sakevisual
- Tumblr: sakevisual
- Deviantart: sakevisual
- itch: sakevisual
- Miko-Class Veteran
- Posts: 734
- Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:54 am
- Completed: Christmas
- IRC Nick: DragoonHP
- Location: Zion Island, Solario
- Lemma-Class Veteran
- Posts: 3995
- Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:41 pm
- Completed: Too many! See my homepage
- Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
- Tumblr: winterwolvesgames
- Posts: 229
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:55 am
- Projects: Friendly Elementary School: Choices, Friendly Elementary School: The Full
- Organization: Friendly Elementary School: Series
- Location: Mindanao, Philippines
I would like to thank you for creating a visual novel engine for us, really cool!
I also been learning about your documentations, and it is really helpful!
Plus, for your very good effort, we are glad for you to create such a useful engine!
Friendly Elementary School: Choices
- Eileen-Class Veteran
- Posts: 1167
- Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 6:10 am
- Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
- Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game
- Finish Improved Event Handler
- Implement DragonBones animation as a Creator Defined Container
- Develop Cartoon Speech Bubble dialogue
- Finish Bitmask collision and rebound vector system
- Develop time based building mechanic
- *Find a superb artist and actually write a game*
- Posts: 324
- Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:49 pm
- Projects: Legacy
- Organization: IKG
- Location: St.Petersburg, Russia
Thank you so much, Tom, for your hard work. I also thank all those involved in the development and promotion of Ren'Py.
I heartily congratulate us all on anniversary. I wish luck and success in the future!!!
- Hentai Poofter
- Posts: 2112
- Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:13 pm
- Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel
- Location: Philippines
I'm writing a Renpy textbook (in Russian). https://yadi.sk/d/ZX_DonP63USRru Update 22.06.18
I will translate your project into Russian for free.
- Eileen-Class Veteran
- Posts: 1423
- Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:58 pm
- Projects: Coming Out On Top
- Location: United States
I can't say, but when I pass here, yearly or so, I'm always amazed of the leaps & bounds done in Ren'py development and history.
Best regards from Italy,