How to loop an array when it ends? Here are my failures...

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
abeplaga
Regular

How to loop an array when it ends? Here are my failures...

#1 Post by abeplaga »

Hi. So I'm testing how works arrays and I want a botton to show one by one the contents of the array and once it reaches the end it will restart (like A, B, C, A, B, C, A, B, C...).

With the following code I think that I have created it: I have a counter that shows the content one by one and when I get to the last content of the array it becomes 0 and therefore I return to the beginning but I do not get it, I get the error IndexError: list index out of range.

Code: Select all

define myarray = ["A", "B", "C"]
define counter = 0

screen test_array:
    imagebutton idle "button.png" action SetVariable("counter", counter + 1)

if counter == len(myarray):
        $ counter = 0 

text myarray[counter]
Looking and looking I do not find anything wrong in the code and I think it is quite logical but for some reason (ignorance maybe) I can not find out :(
  1. With if counter == len(myarray) it loop and shows "A" but next appears IndexError: list index out of range
  2. With if counter >= len(myarray) it loop and shows "A" but then it stagnates and stays in "A" no matter how much I press the button
  3. With if counter <= len(myarray) I press the botton but only appears "A" but on the 4th botton press it appears IndexError: list index out of range :shock:

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: How to loop an array when it ends? Here are my failures...

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

I don't know much about this, but you should use default for "counter" variable as it changes. define is for things that won't change.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

IrinaLazareva
Veteran
Projects: Legacy
Organization: SunShI

#3 Post by IrinaLazareva »

default counter  = 0
define myarray = ['A', 'B', 'C']
screen test_array():
    imagebutton idle 'button.png' action If(counter<len(myarray)-1, SetVariable('counter', counter+1), SetVariable('counter', 0))
    text myarray[counter]
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_actions.html#If

In your example, the list consists of three elements. And the index for them is measured from zero to two.
I.e. max index is not equal to the number of elements, so such comparison causes the 'list index out of range' exception.
Last edited by IrinaLazareva on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Human Bolt Diary
Regular

#4 Post by Human Bolt Diary »

What you want is a modulo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulo_operation

textbutton "Foo" action SetVariable("counter", (counter + 1) % len(myarray))
The remainder can never be greater than the length of your list

ie:

1 % 4 = 1
2 % 4 = 2
3 % 4 = 3
4 % 4 = 0
5 % 4 = 1