[Solved] Creating Preference Screen Options (change game font, adjust opacity, change text colour)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
AvalonMelody
Regular

[Solved] Creating Preference Screen Options (change game font, adjust opacity, change text colour)

#1 Post by AvalonMelody »

Greetings!

I've been wondering about how to make a game a little more user-friendly in terms of visuals.

I know that generally we can change the game window size, edit the font for the whole game in the rpy file, and other basic features but what about something like:
- Choosing between two or three set fonts (buttons in a menu).
- Or a slider to adjust the opacity of the text box?
- Or even a way to change the colour of the text to grey or black for better viewing against the box?

Though, keep in mind this would be from the preferences screen and changes would (hopefully if possible) take place either right away or upon exiting the screen. (Or if not, then restarting the game.)

I'm hoping this is possible, but if so, how would one start? Any help would be appreciated!
Apologies if this has been asked before. ;w; )

AvalonMelody
Last edited by AvalonMelody on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Re: Creating Preference Screen Options (change game font, adjust opacity, change text colour)

#2 Post by Obscura »

At least in terms of font preferences, you can register different styles, then allow the user to switch styles in the preferences menu using buttons.

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/style.ht ... preference
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

AvalonMelody
Regular

Re: Creating Preference Screen Options (change game font, adjust opacity, change text colour)

#5 Post by AvalonMelody »

Thanks so much to both of you! I really appreciate it. ^v^ )/