Troubles in playing videos in game

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
korova
Veteran
Completed: Ivy, Chocolate, Time, Clair Obscur
Projects: Writing exercises, The House [Nano18]
Tumblr: korova08
itch: korova

Troubles in playing videos in game

#1 Post by korova »

Hi !

I'm making a game, and I need to play videos inside the game (In the middle of my game, I want to fake the narrator watching TV)

I've selected 8 short videos from the web (mainly trailers or short TV programs extracts). Original videos are .mp4 or .flv
In order it's more convenient for me, I've converted them all in theora/vorbis using vlc. All videos play nice with vlc or mplayer.

only 3 of the videos actually show in renpy, (one of them freezing the game though), the others don't show at all.
I don't understand why, as I converted them using exactly the same process.
There are no error messages generated (nothing in errors.txt or traceback.txt)

So than you can perform tests, I made a short game which only plays 2 videos, the first one works, the second one does not.
I also included the original videos before conversion.

I use renpy 6.9.2 under linux.
Example (windows)
Example (linux)
Example (mac)

What have I done wrong ?
Thanks for your help