Changing background image in nvl mode without fading the text out and in

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Skyleft
Regular

Changing background image in nvl mode without fading the text out and in

#1 Post by Skyleft »

If I simple have this:

Code: Select all

nvlcharacter "Hello."
scene bg sky
with dissolve
nvlcharacter "Goodbye."
When the scene background changes, the text "Hello." fades out and back in. Is there a way to do it without that occurring?

Wight
Regular
Completed: A Transient Experiment
itch: wight

Re: Changing background image in nvl mode without fading the text out and in

#2 Post by Wight »

If you want to change scenes without the NVL window disappearing, try following the Dict Transitions instructions here:
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/transiti ... ransitions
Do the whole thing, including the bottom part where it mentions editing options.rpy

I don't know if this change will clash with the rest of your VN, I haven't done this sort of change before. Let me know if there's any further issues after doing this adjustment.

Skyleft
Regular

#3 Post by Skyleft »

Wight wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:57 pm If you want to change scenes without the NVL window disappearing, try following the Dict Transitions instructions here:
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/transiti ... ransitions
Do the whole thing, including the bottom part where it mentions editing options.rpy

I don't know if this change will clash with the rest of your VN, I haven't done this sort of change before. Let me know if there's any further issues after doing this adjustment.
This doesn't seem to work. Using Dict Transitions to change the background image returns this error "RevertableDict object is not callable."

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'd just "show" the new background rather than use "scene" which fades each time.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter