Problems with position of a custom displayable

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Queex
Regular

Problems with position of a custom displayable

#1 Post by Queex »

I've defined a custom displayable with a number of child displayables arranged in a grid. It appears to render correctly. However, when trying to show it in the centre with 'truecenter' the bottom right-hand corner is placed in the centre. If it was the top left, I would assume that the width and height are not being picked up correctly, but bottom right is a puzzler. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the custom displayable, or the DynamicDisplayable I'm wrapping around it.

Code: Select all

image mapVision=DynamicDisplayable(show_map)

init python:

def show_map(st, at):
    if map_centre==None:
      return Solid("#000"), None
    else:
      return MapDisplayable(map, map_centre), None

class MapDisplayable(renpy.Displayable):
    def __init__(self, map, xypair, **kwargs):
      super(MapDisplayable,self).__init__(**kwargs)
      self.map=map
      self.centre=xypair
      self.children=[]
      self.width=11*48 # the tile grid fits within an 11x11 square of tiles, tiles are 48px square
      self.height=11*48

def per_interact(self):
      self.children= (something quite complicated omitted for brevity)
      renpy.redraw(self,0)
      def render(self, width, height, at, st):
      render=renpy.Render(self.width,self.height)
      for ii in range(len(self.children)):
        render.blit(renpy.render(self.children[ii], self.children[ii].size, self.children[ii].size, st, at), (MapDisplayable.visible[ii][0]*48-24,MapDisplayable.visible[ii][1]*48-24)) # MapDisplayable.visible is an array of tuples that defines the offsets for the tiles to show
      return render

def visit(self):
      return self.children

label start:
  $ map_centre=(3,3)
  show mapVision at truecenter
  "Start."
I don't know that the self.width and self.height actually do anything. I had a pick through the source code to see if I needed to replace any other member functions, but couldn't find where renpy.Displayable was defined. Also the search function on these forums doesn't seem to be working presently.

Queex
Regular

Re: Problems with position of a custom displayable

#2 Post by Queex »

Giving this a bump.

I can probably work around the problem by defining a new position that places it where I want it, but I suspect the underlying issue is something I'm doing wrong with these custom displayables and I'd prefer to find out what before I make too many more of them.