[SOLVED] Save files disappearing for no reason on Android

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Ceilyan

[SOLVED] Save files disappearing for no reason on Android

#1 Post by Ceilyan »

Hello :)

Sorry to bother you again, but I have encountered another problem. Some users sent me several messages telling me their save files disappeared for no reason. I asked them to check the storage on their phone and the file was indeed gone. I don't really know what's going on or where to look at to see if there's a problem somewhere. So if anyone could help me, that would be really great :(

I personnaly don't have the problem on my phone and there was no error message on the users' phone.

Thank you very much for your help!
Last edited by Ceilyan on Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Save files disappearing for no reason on Android

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Ask if they've been clearing the app data through settings or if they have any automatic cleaning apps installed.
My guess is something is cleaning the cache (possibly to optimise storage space) for the game which is where save files are stored.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Ceilyan

#3 Post by Ceilyan »

Thank you, that was it :) Is there a way to prevent this problem? People sometimes need to optimize their space, but if it wipes their saves everytime, it's going to be a problem :( Should I try to store the savefiles somewhere else or to protect them from the dreaded auto cleaning? Is it even possible?

Once again, thank your very much for your prompt reply :)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Well that was certainly quick.

If you can find out what app is used for cleaning/optimising the storage space, you should be able to get the player to add an exception for your game.

This should allow the cleaning app to run and ignore your game. But it'd depend on the app itself, and there's a lot of apps that do this.

As a workaround, you can make a backup of the save files by copying the contents of Android/data/com.your_game_name/files/saves
You do not require Root privileges to access this folder
Last edited by Imperf3kt on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Ceilyan

#5 Post by Ceilyan »

I will add a little warning at the begining of the game to ask the users to add an exception for the game if they're using a auto cleaning app.

Thank you very much for your help :)