Card game

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
jakedude

Card game

#1 Post by jakedude »

I'm trying to create a card game for my mini game for my visual novel and I just don't know how to get it started up can anyone help me ?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Card game

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

"card game" is extremely vague, covering an enormous variety of games, can you be a bit more specific?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#3 Post by isobellesophia »

I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

jakedude

#4 Post by jakedude »

I'm trying to create my own card game minigame and it's like a you have all the cards in your hand and you have to play correct cards to reduce the opponents card health to zero

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#5 Post by wyverngem »

That's very vague. Most card games require knowing Python and having knowledge of screens and how renpy works with it. To be honest if you know what you want you may be able to commission someone, but card games are a lot of work. Trust me, my second game was Blackjack without any python it, and it was time consuming.

Your coder is going to want to know this:

How does the player access the minigame? Do you want a reusable label to jump out and back into the current label? (Don't try to use "call game_label" for this. It will eventually return you out of the game.)
Do you want to use screen language to show actual cards or is this through text?
How many cards are in a possible deck?
How many cards are in each player hands?
Do the player draw more cards?
Is there turns between the player and opponent?
What are the values of the cards?
Is there a system where some cards are better and weaker then others?
How do you play the game?
List what happens step by step to play the game.

There are more questions to ask, but that's a start. I'd have a log of them. If you want to proceed without python or just where to start. I'd start by knowing variables, list, and screens language. When I started my blackjack game I started with a blank label and tried to process it in step by step as if I were teaching it to someone.

I used if statements, variables, and renpy.random mostly to make the game functional. If I were to go back to the original game without python I wish that I would have known about how to use a list. It would have saved a lot of time.

Anyways, best of luck on your project.