[SOLVED]Users can't open the .exe file because it can't find the .py file

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Ceilyan

[SOLVED]Users can't open the .exe file because it can't find the .py file

#1 Post by Ceilyan »

Hello :)

Another day, another problem. :oops: So an user sent me a message to tell me they couldn't open the application they dled on itch. They also sent me a screencap of the error message they keep getting.

It says :

C:\\Users\\user\\Documents\\[GameName]\\lib\\windows-i686\\GameName.exe Could not open C:\Users\user\Documents\[GameName]\GameName.py.

I suggested them to check their antivirus program or try to launch the exe as an administrator. The latter did not work, though. For the former, they didn't reach back.

Could you help me (again. I'm so sorry, I'm a noob when it come to game development :( ) to solve this?

Thank you very much in advance.
Last edited by Ceilyan on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Users can't open the .exe file because it can't find the .py file

#2 Post by PyTom »

I'd suggest launching it through the itch app, which takes care of unpacking and setting things up properly.

Without knowing the game, it's impossible to see if the archive is somehow faulty.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Ceilyan

Re: Users can't open the .exe file because it can't find the .py file

#3 Post by Ceilyan »

Thank you for your answer :)

Turns out it was the archive's name that was at fault, containing a special character. I renamed it, and now it works with no problem.

Thanks again for your time!