Window isn't updated unless dragged

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
moonemoji

Window isn't updated unless dragged

#1 Post by moonemoji »

So basically I've been trying to run ren'py, but it has this weird as heck issue where the window isn't updated until i drag the window a bit. This affects both ren'py itself, and any ren'py games I have downloaded that come in a .zip. (Stuff like Long Live the Queen downloaded through steam work fine though, not sure if that's significant but I thought I'd mention it anyway just in case).

I tried checking log.txt and found these two errors:

Importing _renpysteam: ImportError('No module named _renpysteam',)

Couldn't import angle renderer:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\[my username]\Downloads\renpy-7.1.3-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 1921, in make_draw
__import__(mod)
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
Unknown renderer: angle

I'm running windows 10 and all my drivers are updated. It's really strange, because I used to be able to run ren'py just fine on a previous windows 10 computer I had, but with this new one I can't even play games I've made ='D I'd super duper appreciate any help at all.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Window isn't updated unless dragged

#2 Post by PyTom »

I can't see a way in which Ren'Py would cause this. Both of those errors are spurious. I'd check maybe your video driver settings, see if you can find something controlling frame refresh.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom