Preview of Slot Info on Hover in Save/Load Menu?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
yukiko

Preview of Slot Info on Hover in Save/Load Menu?

#1 Post by yukiko »

Hi.

Instead of having Save/Load Slot Info such as Chapter Number and Chapter Name, and a snippet of the last-seen text line visible all-the-time on the Individual Save/Load Slots, I wanted to make it so this Filled Info is only seen when you hover over each separate Save/Load Slots. The Filled Slot Info would appear in a "specified" location on-screen, and dynamically change/update whenever you hover over the varying Save/Load Slots.

I was thinking of having Text that is always visible in the "specified" Slot Info Area that gives an example of what kind of Info would be present there when filled, e.g. says something like "Time: [blank, only appears when hovering over slot]" and "Chapter: [blank, only appears when hovering over slot]," etc. Or the Slot Info Area is always blank, and only shows the whole Info when you hover.

I currently have coded my Save/Load Screen to use a simple imagemap and hotspots for the FilePage(s) and Load/Save Slot FileAction(s), but I'm unsure if I need to code it differently to make this kind of set-up work. If it's possible to code it using my current set-up that would be good, but if I have to code it differently, I don't mind changing it.

Here are some visual examples of what I mean:

Blank Info Area (Not Filled) – Unhovered:

Slot Info Appears (Filled) – While Hovering over a Save/Load Slot:

Unlike the above example, I'd like the formatting of the Filled Data to be "Chapter [Number (Variable)] – [Chapter Title (Variable)]" and then below it on a new line it shows a Preview of "Last-seen In-game Text."

Any suggestions of how I could go about coding this kind of set-up?

Thanks.

I did find an older topic here that is somewhat similar to what I'm looking to accomplish (just minus showing FileScreenshot on hover), but it's not as relevant as it seems to be coded specifically for a particular game only (e.g. makes use of borderblack, slot_foot, etc). But I wouldn’t say it works well in the new Ren’Py and it doesn’t function how I’d like it, either.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Preview of Slot Info on Hover in Save/Load Menu?

#2 Post by philat »

Everything you need is basically in that topic, albeit with some tweaks needed.

yukiko

#3 Post by yukiko »

Could you give me a specific code example of what these tweaks would look like?

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by philat »

Well, it's hard to given that you didn't post any of your code. But the point is that topic covers retrieving information from the save and showing it. Maybe the only thing not explicitly stated (although in the code) is that save_name can be used to save whatever you want and manipulated to show in the screen. (https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/save_loa ... -save_name )

yukiko

#5 Post by yukiko »

Hello. Thanks for the reply.

I’m already using save_name (e.g. I'm utilizing it for my save_name_funct "chapternum" etc), but I'm not sure how to incorporate that, along with other specific defined variables to display only when you hover over a Save/Load slot.

What I'm trying to achieve is not a typical default Ren'Py game behaviour, as typically save_name is visible all-the-time the moment you make a save slot (if you're using save_name, that is), and not when you hover over a Save/Load slot.

I presume I use a Tooltip for this type of hover behaviour (e.g. "hovered tt.Action"), but I do not want "tt.Action FileScreenshot(i)" (as mentioned in that old topic I link to), as the FileScreenshots are already always visible in my Save/Load Screen when you make a save.

As shown in the provided example screenshots above, I want to have Text Info to appear (in a specified location) when you hover over a Save/Load slot, but be blank when you're not hovering over a Save Slot. The Filled Save Data/Info would dynamically update with each unique individual save with the Info I want there (such as chapter number and name, as well as snippet of last-seen text from in-game).

I don't think it’s necessary to post my game code at the moment (as I just made a very simple imagemap using hotspots for the Save/Load Screen).
This kind of function should be something that is able to just be incorporated into the Default Ren’Py Save/Load Screen set-up, no?

I was hoping for just an idea of a specific method of going about this, as what I attempted thus far is not quite what I had in mind.
As shown in the screenshot, I thought this type of hover behaviour should be pretty straightforward to add to any type of Save/Load Screen, even the default one?

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by philat »

Honestly, I don't understand the question, other than perhaps your actual issue is that you don't understand how tooltips work. In which case, examples here: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_a ... l#tooltips

Tooltip related syntax has been updated since the original linked thread, but the old syntax still works just fine. To elaborate, in the last post of the thread, tt.value[0] (the screenshot), tt.value[1] (slotfoot), etc., is where the tooltip is being actually shown. In the newer example in the documentation, it's the text "[tooltip]" part. You can put that anywhere you want, and that's where it will show up when you hover.