Global variables

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
db180

Global variables

#1 Post by db180 »

i would like to ask how to write global variables, and is there any good tutorial links about the defining different types of variables?

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

Re: Global variables

#2 Post by wyverngem »

Do you mean for use in python blocks or just in the script themselves?

db180

#3 Post by db180 »

i am sorry that i have not written clearly at the first statement, i would like to know how to use on python blocks

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#4 Post by isobellesophia »

I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by wyverngem »

db180 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:44 am i am sorry that i have not written clearly at the first statement, i would like to know how to use on python blocks
isobellesophia has a good starting point. If you want to know more about using variables with Python read this. https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/quicksta ... statements

If you're familiar with creating your own functions in python. You'll want to use a global variable in a function you just put global in front of it. For example;

Code: Select all

init python:
    def myfunc(the_time):
    	global player_name
    	gettings = "Hello " + str(player_name) + "The time is" + str(the_time) + "right now."
    	return greetings

default player_name = 'Nadine'

label start:
    $ game_greets = myfunc(10)
    "[game_greets]"
    return

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#6 Post by isobellesophia »

If you want to use a "init python", it is a good use for any functions and classes, umfortunately, i dont use "init python" alot but its also good (i just copy those out of nowhere.), even "python". Especially variables.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

db180

#7 Post by db180 »

wyverngem wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:25 pm
db180 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:44 am i am sorry that i have not written clearly at the first statement, i would like to know how to use on python blocks
isobellesophia has a good starting point. If you want to know more about using variables with Python read this. https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/quicksta ... statements

If you're familiar with creating your own functions in python. You'll want to use a global variable in a function you just put global in front of it. For example;

Code: Select all

init python:
    def myfunc(the_time):
    	global player_name
    	gettings = "Hello " + str(player_name) + "The time is" + str(the_time) + "right now."
    	return greetings

default player_name = 'Nadine'

label start:
    $ game_greets = myfunc(10)
    "[game_greets]"
    return

Thank you for the reply, i may be i am a beginner of the programming, i would like to ask about that the reason of returning greetings, i could not find a variable of greeting in the init python function, is that a function of python?

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by wyverngem »

No, it's one I just made up when I wrote the sample function, and returned it so that the game_greets variable I made knew what it would become. If you're brand new to it then I suggest sticking to the Renpy documentation and not worrying about Python script. At least until you got the hang of working with Renpy, because it is different then working simply in Python.