Question about predicting frequently used images

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
tcassat
Regular

Question about predicting frequently used images

#1 Post by tcassat »

Hello!

My game has a "world map" and it is accessible from almost any screen. The world map is composed of about 20 images (including the imagebuttons that represent each location), but Renpy only predict the first 5 images. This means that when the player clicks on the "world map" button for the first time, he has to wait for about 1 or 2 seconds.

I wanted to make these images predicted at the beginning of the game and stay in memory all the time until the game is closed. For this, I was suggested to use this at the beginning of the script:

"renpy.start_predict_screen("maps files")"

With this, will the map files always be available while the game is running, or will Renpy predict other images and overwrite the old ones during the game?

If this solution is not ideal, does anyone know how I could solve this problem?