[Solved] Text skip borks character placement

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
teh

[Solved] Text skip borks character placement

#1 Post by teh »

Hey folks,

Sometimes when I use CTRL to skip text/animations in the game, characters will appear on top of one another instead of their proper placement (say, at right with easeinright will display on top of the at left) how can I avoid that?

For instance in this part of my game, the very first characters to appear:

Code: Select all

show char2 baseside at right with moveinright:
        xzoom -1

char2 "Yes indeed."
    char1 "Don't interrupt."
    show char1 neutral open
    hide char2
If I skip or something, the character that is supposed to appear on the right will appear on the left instead. Same if I scroll back up to rewind.

This shouldn't occur much in gameplay but it does look pretty iffy, so I'd rather avoid it if I can.

Is there something I'm missing here?
Last edited by teh on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teh

Re: Text skip borks character placement

#2 Post by teh »

Woops, wrong forum.

Also, a helpful community member helped me sort this out.

Basically, always state your character placement after a movement to make sure that the transition doesn't bork. It's not the most elegant way, but hey, it has the advantage of being an easy fix! I'll mark as solved and ask a mod to move the thread in case this helps somebody else.

With my example, this would be:

Code: Select all

show char2 baseside at right with moveinright:
        xzoom -1

show char2 at right
    char2 "Yes indeed."
    char1 "Don't interrupt."
    show char1 neutral open
    hide char2