"Fade() takes at least 3 arguments (3 given)": weird issue

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
inima
Soundcloud: INIMA Game Works

"Fade() takes at least 3 arguments (3 given)": weird issue

#1 Post by inima »

I'm working on my VN, Dream of Stars, and every time I load data I get the following error screen (or some permutation of it, depending on where in the script I am):

I'm fairly certain that this started as the result of a transition I ported over from a game made with an earlier build of Ren'Py, but even after deleting that transition from script.rpy, I still get that error. I checked and double-checked, and I have no fade() class transitions in my script or in any of the listed .py files (to the best of my awareness). Any idea what's causing this? It's not game-breaking, since I can just rollback to escape, but it is rather annoying and unprofessional, considering I'm going to be releasing this as an actual commercial game later in the year.

UPDATE: Problem has been solved, but I'm going to leave this here for anyone else who might encounter my oddly specific issue:

Turns out the issue was due to the fact that the line of code ACTUALLY being referenced—WHICH THE TRACEBACK MAKES NO MENTION OF!—was line 85 in my options.rpy, with the transition dedicated to fading in the game when a save file is loaded. It was set by default(?) to

Code: Select all

define config.after_load_transition = Fade(1.0)
, so I altered it to

define config.after_load_transition = Fade(0.5, 0.25, 0.5)
. Now, games load seamlessly.
Attachments
script.rpy
(150.98 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
traceback.txt
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

IrinaLazareva
Veteran
Projects: Legacy
Organization: SunShI

Re: "Fade() takes at least 3 arguments (3 given)": weird issue

#2 Post by IrinaLazareva »

inima wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:28 am It was set by default(?)
Nope, default is:

## A transition that is used after a game has been loaded.
define config.after_load_transition = None