[Solved] Bizarre bug. Screen is going black in the middle of dialogue.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
slithery eyed wombat

[Solved] Bizarre bug. Screen is going black in the middle of dialogue.

#1 Post by slithery eyed wombat »

code:

Code: Select all

c1 "Excellent!"

show c1 armso with dissolve

"You grab it out of her hands."

c1 "Now we just wait."

c1 "Since I made it, it will obviously work flawlessly!"
Between lines 3 and 4, the screen goes black. The background and both characters on screen disappear but the dialogue box remains.

I'm completely flummoxed.

I know I'm not providing a lot of detail here, but honestly this is all I've got. There's absolutely no reason for the anything other than the text in a dialogue box to change between those lines. All I can think is that this is come kind of pretty nasty bug within Ren'Py itself. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course.

The one thing someone in the discord had me try that resulted in some change in behavior was editing one of my characters images. I drew a red squiggly line (just to change it) on one of the poses and that resulted in the black "screen" appearing a few lines earlier in the code.

However, replacing all of that characters images with the uncompressed originals didn't change anything, so I'm not convinced.

The behavior looks similar to what would happen if, at that line, I wrote ` scene black `, all the characters vanish and the background turns black. Of course, I'm not calling that there, it's happening in between two lines of dialogue. However, if I try and put the characters pack in the scene, Renpy apparently can no longer find the image because it just draws the placeholder character image (the default renpy one that has the image name in the middle). However this is only the case with *some* characters, others appear with no problems. Something really strange is going on here.
Last edited by slithery eyed wombat on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slithery eyed wombat

Re: Bizarre bug. Screen is going black in the middle of dialogue.

#2 Post by slithery eyed wombat »

I've made sure everything is up to date. I even downloaded the latest Renpy SDK (I was running 7.1.3) but that didn't fix anything.

slithery eyed wombat

#3 Post by slithery eyed wombat »

Working more on this problem: I use git as my VCS, so decided to roll back my game to the first commit that included the troubled section of dialogue. However, after play testing it, I found that the problem didn't appear. Everything worked as expected. I guess this means the problem isn't something inherent in those lines of dialogue, but a deeper issue with renpy itself?

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#4 Post by isobellesophia »

So you used 7.1.3, 7.2.0 has many bug fixes including the during dialogue in game. I guess that is clearly a bug which is nothing problem on the code you just showed.

(Just to make sure that the new version of the Ren'py is installed. So bugs or glitches cannot be appeared anymore.)

Alot of people mentioned about bugs in Ren'Py.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

slithery eyed wombat

#5 Post by slithery eyed wombat »

Right, I originally used 7.1.3, but after trying lots of other things I did download 7.2.1 and ran my code on it. The problem still exists.

slithery eyed wombat

#6 Post by slithery eyed wombat »

Ok, found the problem (thanks PyTom).

Turns out I had a side effect in one of my screens.

Code: Select all

screen city_map:

$ renpy.show("black")

imagemap:
Turns out this is a big no-no. After removing the renpy.show() call, the problem went away!