Questions regarding Android builds and Google play

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
dragondatingsim
Regular
Tumblr: angelswithscalywings

Questions regarding Android builds and Google play

#1 Post by dragondatingsim »

I am working on a mobile game and am unsure about a few things.

I'm at the phase where I am trying to test on actual hardware. One of the devices I am testing on is a Kindle Fire HD 8 from 2016 (6th generation). If I make an android build with the newest Ren'Py version, the game refuses to install. On an older Ren'Py version, the game installs and is playable without issue.

1. As far as I understand, it would be necessary to use the newest Ren'Py version to make a build in order to be able to upload the game on Google Play due to their policy. Are the changes and requirements for Google Play also responsible for the game not running on my Kindle because it is too old?

This would be a bummer, since this would mean having to decide between compatibility with more devices or being on Google Play.

2. Google Play requires a developer address to be listed that is publically viewable on Google Play to any customer browsing your games. This is very unfriendly to indies, but despite outcry from developers Google has stuck with this policy. Some people mention deceiving google in some way to circumvent this policy, but this does not seem like a good idea. It seems like the only way to escape this policy is to go through a publisher.

Does anyone have experience dealing with this policy?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Questions regarding Android builds and Google play

#2 Post by PyTom »

I don't believe that there should be a problem running Ren'Py on an updated Kindle Fire 8. Just looking at it, it seems like it should be supported. You might want to try uninstalling the old version of your game from the Fire 8, just to make sure that there isn't some sort of conflict in signing keys or something like that that would prevent it from installing.

Isn't the solution to the developer address thing to get a PO Box?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

dragondatingsim
Regular
Tumblr: angelswithscalywings

Re: Questions regarding Android builds and Google play

#3 Post by dragondatingsim »

PyTom wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:35 am You might want to try uninstalling the old version of your game from the Fire 8, just to make sure that there isn't some sort of conflict in signing keys or something like that that would prevent it from installing.
That actually did the trick :)
PyTom wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:35 am Isn't the solution to the developer address thing to get a PO Box?
Google explicitly does not allow PO boxes for this: https://support.google.com/paymentscent ... 0669?hl=en

The reason for this is apparently that they need a business address on file to which legal papers can be served in case a customer wants to sue a developer. Of course, some people try to circumvent this policy by entering a PO box in a way that doesn't immediately get recognized by google. I'd rather not want to deal with what happens if Google does find out. Some people have had their home addresses made public without their consent when Google realized they tried to circumvent this policy and Google replaced the address that is displayed in the store with the one they had on file for those developers.