[SOLVED] Text pauses not working during voice play after update?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
rooftopsrevolution
Tumblr: celestialdancestt
Deviantart: papertsubaki
itch: rooftopsrevolution

[SOLVED] Text pauses not working during voice play after update?

#1 Post by rooftopsrevolution »

Hello!
I've used an old version of Ren'py until recently and I've never had an issue. Now, when I'm trying to insert voice acting, if a {w=x.x} tag is placed in the dialogue while a voice track is played, the text will pause at that point until the voice track is complete. I used this for pacing dialogue to voice actors' lines, and I'm not sure what changed. Is there a way to fix this? or should I revert back to the old ren'py build?
Thank you in advance!

Example:

Code: Select all

voice "clip1.mp3"
person "This is my dialogue.{w=0.5} When letter-to-letter mode is on, this message will appear after 0.5 seconds"
In the above example, the sound clip will play and "This is my dialogue" will show and pause. It does not stop for 0.5 seconds, however but the duration of the sound file. So if my soundfile is 10 seconds long, the pause will remain for 10 seconds and then the second half of the sentence will be played.

Just to be clear, this is how I pace my voice acting to sync with the game. It worked fine on the 2017 build of Ren'py so I'm so confused.

[UPDATE]
I reverted to 6.99 and it works fine. I guess I'll stick to that until there's a solid answer.

[RESOLVED]
Solution below :) Thank you!
Last edited by rooftopsrevolution on Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Chekhov
Regular
Projects: Pluton

Re: Text pausing during voice play?

#2 Post by Chekhov »

I'm not sure about the tag you're describing. The modern usage of voice acting is here: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/voice.html

Do you use similar code or different?

rooftopsrevolution

Re: Text pausing during voice play?

#3 Post by rooftopsrevolution »

Chekhov wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:58 am I'm not sure about the tag you're describing. The modern usage of voice acting is here: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/voice.html

Do you use similar code or different?

Hi!
Yes that’s how I’m using voices. When I use the pause tag within text to pause the text from going any further for a specified time (i.e {w=0.5}) the text pauses until the audio file completes instead of pausing for the specified amount of time.

voice “line1.mp3”
person “this is text{w=0.5} This text will show after 0.5 seconds of letter-by-letter is enabled”
^^ in this example, the voice will play, then the text will stop at the pause but then it will wait until the audio track is finished I instead of pausing for 0.5 seconds. Just to be clear this is my fourth visual novel and I’ve never had this issue before.

Chekhov
Regular
Projects: Pluton

Re: Text pauses no longer working during voice play upon update?

#4 Post by Chekhov »

I just tested it out and it works exactly the same for me;

it waits far longer when the voice is still going (I used a 10 min file, so I presume it would have continued). When I remove the voice line, it waits only half a second.

My first instinct is that it's a bug in renpy, but I don't have enough experience to say that for sure.

rooftopsrevolution

#5 Post by rooftopsrevolution »

Chekhov wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:50 am I just tested it out and it works exactly the same for me;

it waits far longer when the voice is still going (I used a 10 min file, so I presume it would have continued). When I remove the voice line, it waits only half a second.

My first instinct is that it's a bug in renpy, but I don't have enough experience to say that for sure.
Alright, so I'm not just sleep deprived. It's probably a bug since I'm not finding any information on why it was changed. Thanks for the help chekhov!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

Add this to your game somewhere. I'd put it in options.rpy

config.nw_voice = False
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/incompat ... tible-6-99

That should make the wait tag revert to legacy behaviour.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

rooftopsrevolution

#7 Post by rooftopsrevolution »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:51 pm Add this to your game somewhere. I'd put it in options.rpy

config.nw_voice = False
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/incompat ... tible-6-99

That should make the wait tag revert to legacy behaviour.
Thank you so, so much! I was searching everywhere for something about it so I appreciate it! Works like a charm!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: [SOLVED] Text pauses not working during voice play after update?

#8 Post by Imperf3kt »

Glad I could help.
I received a lot of help from some very patient people when I first joined, so I try to give back to the community where I can.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter