Ren'Py 7.2.2 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Ren'Py 7.2.2 Released

#1 Post by PyTom »

Ren'Py 7.2.2 is out! This is mostly a patch release, but it also includes support for the new accessibility menu, accessed by pressing 'a'. This menu puts current and future engine-level accessibility features in one place.

Ren'Py 7.2 adds new features to Ren'Py, including:
  • Menus now take arguments, and so do menu choices.
  • The say statement can now take a temporary image attribute, making is possible to change a character's emotion for a single statement.
  • The new im.Blur image manipulator can blur static images.
  • Layeredimage groups can now contain non-conflicting attributes while still being automatically declared.
  • It's possible to display a non-looping Movie displayable, and to have a movie display a static image before the first frame renders.
  • A fullscreen Ren'Py will not minimize when the mouse changes monitors.
  • Text now takes renpy.BASELINE as a yanchor, which allows one to position the text's baseline.
  • The CTC screen now takes additional arguments, including the kind of click-to-continue indicator being shown.
Ren'Py 7.2 updates Ren'Py to work with the current Android SDK, and contains a number of other bugfixes.

Downloads of 7.2.2 can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/release/7.2.2

A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/changelog.html

A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/incompatible.html

Please also check out the credits and sponsor list.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

auger
Projects: Unnamed CYA Project

Re: Ren'Py 7.2.2 Released

#2 Post by auger »

I believe that this is a 7.1.1 feature (autoshow/hide behaviours), but I only update once in a blue moon (out of fear of code incompatibility, mostly).
Not only a few seconds after I'd raised a concern do I try updating, and the feature I'm looking for has been made standard in Ren'Py.

Let me say as a perennial lurker who mostly just codes and writes for the fun of it, it really is something to see cool new features added regularly. I realise comments like this can blend together, maybe don't even matter much. But -
Seriously, thank you.
Life is short; be kind.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#3 Post by jack_norton »

Hi, have a question. I tried to build for Android, but when I submitted I got this warning:
This release is not compliant with the Google Play 64-bit requirement

The following APKs or App Bundles are available to 64-bit devices, but they only have 32-bit native code: 10000.

From August 1, 2019 all releases must be compliant with the Google Play 64-bit requirement.

Include 64-bit and 32-bit native code in your app. Use the Android App Bundle publishing format to automatically ensure that each device architecture receives only the native code it needs. This avoids increasing the overall size of your app.
How I can do a 64-bit version? Also, after August all apps that aren't 64-bit will be removed or not? I mean, if I have to redo it in August, I'll just wait until I can do the 64-bit :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#4 Post by Obscura »

I tried downloading 7.2.2 sdk (dmg) and it said the application was damaged and to move it to the trash. I'm using Mac High Sierra 10.13.2. Did this twice, same result.

Also tried downloading the tar, same result.

Then tried the SDK zip, tried to open the app. No error message, but no application opened either.

I tried doing downloading 7.0.0 to see if it was a problem with my connection or set up. 7.0.0 opened just fine.

Update: Nevermind, It's a Mac issue with Gatekeeper. Apparently it has to be turned off via the Terminal. sigh...
Last edited by Obscura on Sat May 18, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

jack_norton wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:46 am How I can do a 64-bit version? Also, after August all apps that aren't 64-bit will be removed or not? I mean, if I have to redo it in August, I'll just wait until I can do the 64-bit :)
Google is not removing any 32bit apps, but will not allow any updates unless they comply with the 64bit requirement (and the new icon requirements)

You can read more on this at the Google Android development page where you read about the new requirement.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by jack_norton »

Thanks, yes I know about the icon and indeed I'm already doing the icons with the new standard, however I'm not sure how I can do the 64-bit version. Rememeber that I just use Ren'Py, I don't build the APK from the Android development IDE :)
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

The 64-bit version will be in 7.3, which is pretty close to entering the release cycle.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by jack_norton »

Cool, awesome then! thanks
computer games