Ren'Py OS 19.04.01 - Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
deltadidirac
Regular
Projects: Artworks and Comics
Tumblr: deltadidirac
Deviantart: Deltadidirac67

Re: Ren'Py OS 19.04.01

#16 Post by deltadidirac »

PyTom wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:22 am Downloading and Running Ren’Py OS

Ren’Py OS is now available for download by general audiences. Please read these disclaimers before installing it.

Some of the tools and changes you might need to run Ren’Py OS can be dangerous. While these tools are the same as those used to work with operating systems like Raspian (for the Raspberry Pi), when used improperly, they can damage your computer. Similarly, when changes are required on your computer, you should make sure you understand them and how to revert them before proceeding.

The usual Ren’Py disclaimer applies:

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Requirements

Ren’Py OS is intended to run on computer platforms that were available before April 2018, though it may also run on some platforms that have been in development since this time. The recommended hardware is

CPU: An Intel or AMD CPU that supports 64-bit instructions.
RAM: At least 4 GB of RAM.
VIDEO: A computer with Intel or AMD graphics. Certain Nvidia graphics are supported through the Noveau driver, but I have no experience with this driver.
USB: USB 3.0 or better is highly recommended.
DISK: An 8 gigabyte or larger USB 3.0 flash drive is required. The contents of this drive will be destroyed.
In addition, you will need a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer with about 2 GB of free space to download and write the image.

Creating the USB Drive

Ren’Py OS is designed to be run from a USB flash drive. To create the USB flash drive, download balenaEtcher from:

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

You’ll also want to download the 1.4 GB Ren’Py OS disk image from:

https://www.renpy.org/dl/os/renpyos-19.04.01.zip

You don’t need to unzip the file you download, as balenaEtcher is capable of dealing with zip files containing disk images.

Flashing the image to the USB drive involves inserting the USB drive, running balenaEtcher, selecting the renpyos-19.04.01.zip file, selecting your USB drive, and choosing “Flash!”. The process may take some time to complete, depending on your USB drive and computer’s speed.

Be very careful when selecting the USB drive. This will destroy the data on your drive in a manner that is irreversible.

Starting up and Shutting Down

Ren’Py OS can be started by putting the USB flash drive you created into a computer, and rebooting or powering the computer on. For most computers, you’ll need to access a boot menu to tell it to boot from Ren’Py OS. This menu can usually be accessed by pressing f10, f11, or f12 during boot. Please check your computer or motherboard manuals for details on how to access the boot menu.

If you are having trouble, it may be necessary to disable Secure Boot on your computer. Please consult your computer’s manual for information on how to do this and what it means.

To shut Ren’Py OS down, either hit the computer’s power button, or shut off power to the computer at the switch. Unlike other operating systems, Ren’Py OS is designed to handle power loss. Currently, Ren’Py OS does not support persisting save files after shutdown. Once power leaves the system, your saves and persistent data will be lost.

Playing Visual Novels

By default, Ren’Py OS comes with The Question. After it finishes booting, The Question will be on the screen and playable.

You can replace the game by placing the USB flash drive into your computer, and opening the drive named RENPY. Delete the_question from the drive, then take one of the distributions that supports Linux (such as the -pc or the -store distributions), and unzip it to the drive. You may want to run the game to change the settings, like switching it to fullscreen mode.

Once that’s done, safely remove the USB flash drive from your computer, and boot up Ren’Py OS as described above.
HI
and sorry for the silly question, but my English is not very good.

This system is needed (only at boot time so as to keep the computer solely dedicated to the execution of the game? Without internet, or windows OS, or Mac OS ....)

Or the system is designed to make a sort of "partition" isolated from all the rest, and which is called to run only the renpy games; and, at the same time, it leaves the possibility to the programmer to be free to build the game as always, but to execute in the end only "a single distribution phase" of the game, valid for any system?

see you

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Ren'Py OS 19.04.01 - Released

#17 Post by trooper6 »

That is an April Fool's joke.
Every April 1 in the US (and other places? I don't know!) People make jokes. And one thing PyTom does is announce fake RenPy things for laughs. This is one of the fake announcements.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#18 Post by Imperf3kt »

trooper6 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:53 pm That is an April Fool's joke.
Every April 1 in the US (and other places? I don't know!) People make jokes. And one thing PyTom does is announce fake RenPy things for laughs. This is one of the fake announcements.
So it really was an April fools joke?
But In all my years here I've never seen any other April fools jokes and Pytom was telling people it was a real thing two weeks later still.
PyTom wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:39 pm I'm not sure if it's completely clear - this is a real thing, that is useful for some people.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#19 Post by trooper6 »

Imperf3kt wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:02 pm
trooper6 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:53 pm That is an April Fool's joke.
So it really was an April fools joke?
But In all my years here I've never seen any other April fools jokes and Pytom was telling people it was a real thing two weeks later still.
PyTom wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:39 pm I'm not sure if it's completely clear - this is a real thing, that is useful for some people.
PyTom has a long history of doing April Fools Posts. Here are the April Fool's posts from PyTom I could find:

2006, RenPy License Change: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1000&p=13266&hilit= ... ols#p13266
2009, More Feature Deprecations: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4921&p=68092&hilit= ... ols#p68092
2010, North Korean Ren'Py Game: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6876&p=91246&hilit= ... ols#p91246
2011, 6.12.1: 3D Support: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9807&p=127158#p127158
2012, Your *New* Ren'Py Account: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14638&p=190268#p190268
2013, Color Temperature Adjustment: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=20121&p=259964#p259964
2014, A Confession: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25923&p=317401#p317401
2015, Ren'Py Pro--Now Free for Everyone!: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31444&p=365183#p365183
2016, Welcoming Our Newest Administrator: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37927&p=410459#p410459

So he hadn't done an April Fools post since 2016, but he has done it regularly. If you go back to those posts, you notice the thread title includes "April Fools"--however, those posts did NOT include the April Fools tag at the time. Those tags don't come in for a really long time after. PyTom rarely fesses up about the April Fools Day joke until much long after.

In the Renpy 19.04.01 post, you notice some of the old members immediately jumping in saying, "Oh totally I'm using it right now." They get that this is one of his regular April Fools Jokes. People even allude to it in the thread.

And hey, maybe I'm wrong and this is real. But I've never seen anyone use it and it makes no sense. I would be surprised if this thread doesn't get re-tagged as April Fools in a half year or so.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Imperf3kt »

Or I could solve the mystery tonight by actually downloading it and trying ;P

I did download the file at the time of release but I've since misplaced it.
It appears to still be available

Twitter

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#21 Post by PyTom »

I'll note that it's not a joke - it's a real thing that is run, and might be useful to someone (mostly mugenjohncel).

At the same time, there wasn't any actual interest, so I'm not planning on spending much time to improve it. It's basically just ubuntu, modified so if you pull the plug the drives go back to normal.

At this point, it probably make sense to put the effort into porting to 64-bit Raspberry Pi.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Imperf3kt »

PyTom wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:35 am At this point, it probably make sense to put the effort into porting to 64-bit Raspberry Pi.
Heh, that's pretty much my exact reason behind my interest in this. Although I suspect you already knew that 8)

Thanks for the clarification.

Twitter