Having trouble with quick menu transparencies & creating a seamless textbox + quick menu combo

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

Having trouble with quick menu transparencies & creating a seamless textbox + quick menu combo

#1 Post by sasquatchii »

Hi, I made a mockup design for my textbox + quick menu which I'd like to look like this:

Here's what it currently looks like in game:

As you can see, it's a bit different because it's not as seamless where the textbox meets the quick menu. The weird thing is, is the .png file\ for the quick menu idle image map that I used is transparent, but in-game it shows up as completely opaque. I'm wondering if there is a way to tweak this, maybe by allowing the quick menu to be transparent in-game - or possibly making both menus completely opaque in game and then tweaking their code so they are slightly transparent?

Not sure if it matters - but here is my code for the quick menu. I tried adding "Alpha True" to make the menu transparent but no such luck :(

Code: Select all

screen quick_menu():

imagemap:

ground "gui/quick-menu-inactive.png" 
            hover "gui/quick-menu-active.png"
            selected_idle "gui/quick-menu-active.png"

alpha True

hotspot (551, 720, 148, 70) action Rollback()
            hotspot (711, 720, 177, 70) action ShowMenu('history')
            hotspot (899, 720, 146, 70) action Skip()
            hotspot (1057, 720, 150, 70) action Preference("auto-forward", "toggle")
            hotspot (1217, 720, 160, 70) action ShowMenu('load')
            hotspot (1388, 720, 160, 70) action ShowMenu('save')
            hotspot (1558, 720, 174, 70) action ShowMenu('preferences')

## This code ensures that the quick_menu screen is displayed in-game, whenever
## the player has not explicitly hidden the interface.
init python:
    config.overlay_screens.append("quick_menu")

default quick_menu = True

style quick_button is default
style quick_button_text is button_text

style quick_button:
    properties gui.button_properties("quick_button")

style quick_button_text:
ImageImage

XxrenxX
Veteran
Projects: Chasing
Deviantart: bara-ettie

Re: Having trouble with quick menu transparencies & creating a seamless textbox + quick menu combo

#2 Post by XxrenxX »

I've used a bit of alpha in my own, but not for what you are trying. I use it for transition effects for transparent menu's and screens. Maybe try this, you may need to change your main file so it's not transparent, or tweak both if this code does work. Sorry if it doesn't!

Code: Select all

init -5:
    style quick_button:
        is default
        alpha 0.9