Dumb but: how do I test my loooong game?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Adrian_DVL
Regular
Completed: Clockwork Poison
Projects: Melodic Dates, Clockwork Poison: Salvation

Dumb but: how do I test my loooong game?

#1 Post by Adrian_DVL »

Hi! I know it's a bit of a stupid question but I've been coding what will be a long game for weeks and I have to initialize new variables at game start as new content is being added to the game. I have no choice but initialize many of them at game start and not in other labels, in order for the game to work properly.

Although I have many saved games, I usually start a new game in order to test features that require a global variable to work, and at first it wasn't a problem at all, but now that my game has hours of content, it is a real pain to have to start a new game and go through all the content I had already coded and tested in order to test a new major feature. I almost spend more time testing than coding...

Am I being dumb and there's another simpler way to do this? Or do I have to test my game this way even if it has 100 hours of content? :(

Matalla
Veteran
Completed: Max Power and the Egyptian Beetle Case, The Candidate, The Last Hope, El cajón del viejo escritorio, Clementina y la luna roja, Caught in Orbit, Dirty Business Ep 0, Medianoche de nuevo, The Lost Smile
itch: matalla-interactive

Re: Dumb but: how do I test my loooong game?

#2 Post by Matalla »

I am also working also on a big project, not 100 hours, but probably more than 2 or 3 in a single playthrough, with many branches... Skipping text takes me to any point in little time, also with the console (Press shift+D and choose it) you can go to any point. Or you can put a provisional jump at the start.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español (Discord)
Honest Critique

Adrian_DVL
Regular

#3 Post by Adrian_DVL »

Matalla wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:47 pm I am also working also on a big project, not 100 hours, but probably more than 2 or 3 in a single playthrough, with many branches... Skipping text takes me to any point in little time, also with the console (Press shift+D and choose it) you can go to any point. Or you can put a provisional jump at the start.
Yeah, I know I can use the console and skip parts and go directly to any label, but since my game has many choices, items and quests, and, truth be told, I'm way too cautious and don't want bugs or mistakes if I can avoid them, it takes me too long to test the game. I wish there was a button to initialize variables with an already saved game, or something like that...

Anyway, thank you!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

You can cheat.

Let's say you have a section where "Fred" eats the last cookie.
The variable cookie goes to 0 and later in the story, let's say "Mary" reacts to the missing cookie poorly.

You can add a developer only bit where you could fiddle with the variable at will by simply wrapping it in a conditional:

Code: Select all

if config.developer:
#        adjust variable here however you want.
It won't show in built games, so put whatever cheat or shortcut necessary, inside the config.developer block.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Adrian_DVL
Regular

#5 Post by Adrian_DVL »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:20 pm You can cheat.

Let's say you have a section where "Fred" eats the last cookie.
The variable cookie goes to 0 and later in the story, let's say "Mary" reacts to the missing cookie poorly.

You can add a developer only bit where you could fiddle with the variable at will by simply wrapping it in a conditional:

Code: Select all

if config.developer:
#        adjust variable here however you want.
It won't show in built games, so put whatever cheat or shortcut necessary, inside the config.developer block.
Ohhh! That's a resource I didn't know about!! At first glance I can only think of specific ways to use it, but I'll mess around with it, I'm sure it'll make my testing easier! Thank you very much!

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

You can also just set your variables how you want in the developer console and then jump to which ever label you want.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Adrian_DVL
Regular

#7 Post by Adrian_DVL »

trooper6 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:33 pm You can also just set your variables how you want in the developer console and then jump to which ever label you want.
That's what I usually do. The thing is that my project is a sandbox game, and thus, I have to take into account every possibility when testing. So simply going to a label is not always suitable. But yes, in order to look for thypos, incoherences, or music/sound linking, that's what I do :)

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#8 Post by trooper6 »

Well, you game has to be written with labels, so tve labels have to be there.

I made a flow chart of every single choice and how they impacted each variable, so I had a list of every single variable combination and where they would sit on the flowchart.

So if I wanted to test someone visiting the forest tve second time, if they hadn’t found the potion, but were in love with the elf, but had died three times, and had betrayed the queen and were also a hunter...I set those variables and then jump to the forest, or tve image map where I do my sandbox or whatever.

But your game may be more special and impossible to test.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Adrian_DVL
Regular

#9 Post by Adrian_DVL »

trooper6 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:33 pm Well, you game has to be written with labels, so tve labels have to be there.

I made a flow chart of every single choice and how they impacted each variable, so I had a list of every single variable combination and where they would sit on the flowchart.

So if I wanted to test someone visiting the forest tve second time, if they hadn’t found the potion, but were in love with the elf, but had died three times, and had betrayed the queen and were also a hunter...I set those variables and then jump to the forest, or tve image map where I do my sandbox or whatever.

But your game may be more special and impossible to test.
Yeah, that's what I mean, a lot of variables that can make a single lable have a lot of ways to go through.

I like the idea of a flowchart! Seems quite a lot work, but it may help me to keep everything tidier.

Thank you!!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#10 Post by Imperf3kt »

Hehe yeah, many variables gets difficult.
Reminds me of last night where in testing my minigame, I had to somehow create a random choice from three options and compare that with three other options and then compare the result against 16 outcomes to give a final result.

So that meant there was a total of over one million possible outcomes I had to test. @_@
(according to https://www.mathsisfun.com/combinatoric ... lator.html)
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Adrian_DVL
Regular

#11 Post by Adrian_DVL »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:31 pm Hehe yeah, many variables gets difficult.
Reminds me of last night where in testing my minigame, I had to somehow create a random choice from three options and compare that with three other options and then compare the result against 16 outcomes to give a final result.

So that meant there was a total of over one million possible outcomes I had to test. @_@
(according to https://www.mathsisfun.com/combinatoric ... lator.html)
Oh yes, the infamous permutations and combinations... If I start calculating them I think I would die from just knowing the result hahaha

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#12 Post by isobellesophia »

I am also working with my long novel, but when i wanted to test it, i just skip some parts and save it. My novel also has variables in it, testing it everytime just to save and skip only i do. Errors is always my enemy.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.