Is there a way to delay self-voicing playback?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

Is there a way to delay self-voicing playback?

#1 Post by plaster »

I have a lot of lines that are accentuated with sounds (e.g., a punching sound effect with hpunch). Unfortunately, this tends to drown out self-voicing for a half-second, which might cause players to miss the name of the current speaker. Is there a way to even like, globally delay the text to speech function?

Also, semi-related, do we have any numbers on which Ren'Py accessibility features disabled players find most useful? Might be nice to run a poll or something :P

XxrenxX
Veteran
Projects: Chasing
Deviantart: bara-ettie

Re: Is there a way to delay self-voicing playback?

#2 Post by XxrenxX »

I'm not sure about adding a delay. I only skimmed but are you using something like this?

As for your mention of ccessibility features for disabled players. What exactly are you thinking of doing?

Toggle the font size and resolution to make easier to see? Have an automated voice to read dialogue and narration for those with hearing problems? Kind of hard to give input when not specified what you are thinking of implementing.

plaster
Regular

#3 Post by plaster »

No, but having voice lines in any capacity is another good reason to have a delay...

re: survey data, I'm mostly asking out of curiosity. It's hard to intuit what actually helps disabled players without soliciting their feedback, and when you have that kind of information you can better understand which accessibility features/areas need more focus and which aren't working. For example, Ren'Py games now include the option to switch the default font to OpenDyslexic. Intuitively, this seems like a good feature to have for reading-based games, yet what research we do have suggests it generally does nothing to improve readability. 😱

XxrenxX
Veteran
Projects: Chasing
Deviantart: bara-ettie

#4 Post by XxrenxX »

plaster wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:46 pm No, but having voice lines in any capacity is another good reason to have a delay...

re: survey data, I'm mostly asking out of curiosity. It's hard to intuit what actually helps disabled players without soliciting their feedback, and when you have that kind of information you can better understand which accessibility features/areas need more focus and which aren't working. For example, Ren'Py games now include the option to switch the default font to OpenDyslexic. Intuitively, this seems like a good feature to have for reading-based games, yet what research we do have suggests it generally does nothing to improve readability. 😱
Aah I see. It's a hard question to answer, even in terms of those with set backs that could be caused by how visual novels are set up.

I think it could all depend on what you are making. Visual Novels are growing in popularity but they still are their own genre that isn't for everyone. Things I think that would probably be good idea in terms of those with disabilities is maybe taking a wide range if you wish to make it friendly for everyone.

Examples I can think of on the top of my head is changing the games colour themes to be friendly for a variety of different colour blindness as well as those without. Theres ton's of graph's online that show how to go about colouring in this manner. For those with reading problems you could change the games main font to a dyslexic friendly one, as well as make the font's larger and maybe thicker to make it easier on the eyes. This obviously doesn't cover everything.

I feel if it's something you are genuinely curious about implementing into your own game, be it a VN or not, you should try and get more feedback then just here. Look up other games that have these types of features in their game and see if you can find out anything about how they did it and what challenges it created in trying to do said thing. Quick google search and i found this article that talks about games and game accessories made for various issues.

plaster
Regular

#5 Post by plaster »

Oh. Actually, now that I'm going through it, it seems TTS has a built-in delay related to the voice statement. Does anyone know how to trigger that delay manually? I suppose I could make a dummy voice clip that's silent and call it to trigger the pause every time a sound is used at the start of a statement...

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

You use the text tag "w" - which is for wait. (You might want to supply it a time so it continues instead of waiting for a click, {w=1.0}, for example)
If you're running a recent version of Ren'Py, you need to disable a config default first.

Code: Select all

config.nw_voice = False
This is legacy behaviour though, so isn't really supported anymore.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

plaster
Regular

#7 Post by plaster »

Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:21 am You use the text tag "w" - which is for wait. (You might want to supply it a time so it continues instead of waiting for a click, {w=1.0}, for example)
Self-voicing ignores text tags.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#8 Post by Imperf3kt »

Oops, missed the fact you are using self voicing.

Was basing my reply on this
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54539
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter