Is there still a way to hide the script/text files?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
nanashine
Regular
itch: renpytom

Is there still a way to hide the script/text files?

#1 Post by nanashine »

I did that at options:

Code: Select all

build.classify('game/**.png', 'archive')
    build.classify('game/**.jpg', 'archive')
    build.classify('game/**.rpy', 'archive')
    build.classify('game/**.rpyc', 'archive')
    build.classify('game/**.mp3', 'archive')
I worked fine for me. But when I sent the game to my friend to test it, it didn't work. It said it couldn't find label start.

So I did only:

I wanted to hide my script and text files ("rpyc", "rpy"). I didn't want people to have access to that.

Is it still possible?

Thanks.
I can't access my other account cause I don't remember the e-mail I used *cries in emoji*.

nature1996
Regular

Re: Is there still a way to hide the script/text files?

#2 Post by nature1996 »

Does the game work before you build the archive? I never encountered a problem with putting everything in the archive, but then again I never tried with a full game. Maybe try to force recompile (I do think it does that automatically before creating a build, but...) to see if the problem appear/persist. I also think the *.rpy file don't need to be in the release version, and the .rpyc file are generally pretty much unreadable.

If nothing, it might be due to a compatibility problem with python, though the traceback or a screen shot of the error could help.
Je parle aussi français

nanashine
Regular
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by nanashine »

nature1996 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:17 pm Does the game work before you build the archive? I never encountered a problem with putting everything in the archive, but then again I never tried with a full game. Maybe try to force recompile (I do think it does that automatically before creating a build, but...) to see if the problem appear/persist. I also think the *.rpy file don't need to be in the release version, and the .rpyc file are generally pretty much unreadable.

If nothing, it might be due to a compatibility problem with python, though the traceback or a screen shot of the error could help.
On my computer it was working, but on my friends computer It wasn't. She sent me the picture of the error message, and if I'm not mistaken, it said it could find the ".rpyc" or something.
I'll try to hide only the .rpy file and let the .rpyc there. Then I'll see if it works.

Thank you so much :)
I can't access my other account cause I don't remember the e-mail I used *cries in emoji*.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#4 Post by Donmai »

nanashine wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:18 pmSo I did only:

I wanted to hide my script and text files ("rpyc", "rpy"). I didn't want people to have access to that.
You're not telling Ren'Py to "hide" your scripts. You're telling Ren'Py to not include them in your distribution. A game without scripts won't run. You can safely include only the compiled scripts in your distribution, as they're not human readable (yes, they can be decompiled using unrpyc, but that's usually too much work for simple mortals :lol: ).
You can do:

build.classify('game/**.rpy', None) # .rpy files won't be included

## To archive files, classify them as 'archive'.

build.classify('game/**.rpyc', 'archive') # .rpyc files will be included
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

nature1996
Regular

#5 Post by nature1996 »

Donmai wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:55 amYou're not telling Ren'Py to "hide" your scripts. You're telling Ren'Py to not include them in your distribution.
nanashine wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:18 pm I did that at options:

build.classify('game/**.rpy', 'archive')
    build.classify('game/**.rpyc', 'archive')
I worked fine for me. But when I sent the game to my friend to test it, it didn't work. It said it couldn't find label start.
Actually she did (mostly) just that at first... I would kind of like a copy of that distribution for myself, but I would guess it is a python error on the friend computer that is the cause, rather than a ren'py one, maybe?
Je parle aussi français