3 simple questions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
numaej

3 simple questions

#1 Post by numaej »

All 3 of my questions probably have some tutorial already, since most of them are used as a basic features. If you guys have link to it, I'd highly appreciate, if you decide to explain it by yourself, then that's fine with me as well.

1) Probably the easiest one: How to give a player option to name characters and how to implement names they've been given later on in dialogues.

2) How to add a 'phone' feature in the game. Access by pressing a key on a keyboard.
PS I know it's not a detailed question, but first I want to dig more into how it works in general. Saw that many times in games, yet I have no clue how it looks on the side of coding.

3) Is there a possibility to add, before main-menu appears, a pick-your-language option, which would lead to translation of the script with the built-in ren'py translator?

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

Re: 3 simple questions

#2 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

I can only provide a link to answer the first question. I don't have any experience for 2 and 3.

viewtopic.php?t=37838
ImageImageImageImage

plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

Re: 3 simple questions

#3 Post by plaster »

numaej wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:21 pm All 3 of my questions probably have some tutorial already, since most of them are used as a basic features. If you guys have link to it, I'd highly appreciate, if you decide to explain it by yourself, then that's fine with me as well.

1) Probably the easiest one: How to give a player option to name characters and how to implement names they've been given later on in dialogues.

2) How to add a 'phone' feature in the game. Access by pressing a key on a keyboard.
PS I know it's not a detailed question, but first I want to dig more into how it works in general. Saw that many times in games, yet I have no clue how it looks on the side of coding.

3) Is there a possibility to add, before main-menu appears, a pick-your-language option, which would lead to translation of the script with the built-in ren'py translator?
2. It depends, are you talking a basic keypad that can be used to dial different numbers, or a smartphone interface w/messaging and all that like in don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story?

3. Make a screen with buttons like these:

Code: Select all

textbutton _("English") action Language(None)
textbutton _("Japanese") action Language("jp")
... where "Japanese" is whatever alternate language you have and "jp" is whatever the name of your translation is when you set it up in the Ren'Py launcher. It's also the name of the directory where that translation resides (e.g., "yourgame/game/tl/jp").

Then call that screen from splashscreen or before_main_menu.
Source ;P