Game a little broken after updates..(layers)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Game a little broken after updates..(layers)

#1 Post by namastaii »

I'm sure there is a lot I need to fix but what I'm mainly asking about is the layers. Does anyone know what happened with the layers in the update? Maybe not even much and I just had it coded incorrectly the first time? I'm not sure the best way to explain but I'd have a main layer and then another smaller layer that held the story and the main layer had all the UI elements. This is working fine. Before my game begins though, I had it display as just one layer because I have a character creation screen. Now it's showing a big black box where my second layer is after updating to the most recent ren'py. Is it possible to change how my layers are at certain points in the game like this or do they need to be static? Thank you.

plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

Re: Game a little broken after updates..(layers)

#2 Post by plaster »

Are you talking about the layers defined in config.layers (i.e., master, transient, screens, and overlay)?

If it's been a while since you last updated, it's possible this change might be your culprit. Ensuring config.start_scene_black is set to False would be a good start, but if that doesn't work, we'd need to see how your character creation screen is set up. Like, is it taking the place of the main menu?

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by namastaii »

Hmmm...interesting. To be honest, I temporarily took the main menu out in a way. I just have it jump to my character creation screen while I design the new main menu. It's obviously a mess so once I start reconstructing everything and taking a look at what you just said, it should all work out I think haha :) Thank you

plaster
Regular

#4 Post by plaster »

Yeah, depending on how you want character creation to work there are various ways to circumvent the main menu. Your best bet is probably to do something like this:

Code: Select all

label main_menu:
    call screen character_creation()
    return
where "character_creation" is whatever name you gave your character creation screen. This will show that screen instead of the menu, and then proceed to the start of the story once the user is done creating their character, assuming there's like a button on the screen to press when they're finished.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by namastaii »

I guess the way I have it right now is the script runs and then jumps to label "create character" and then at the beginning of that label it "show"s the creation screen then hides it and jumps to the next label when completed.

I haven't done this in forever but what difference does it make to show a screen rather than call one

plaster
Regular

#6 Post by plaster »

I don't think showing vs calling make a difference as far as getting rid of the black, but in general calling a screen sends control of the program to that screen until the player dismisses it. Definitely try it at the main_menu label, though.