How do I change the quick menu idle and hover images?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
dmasterxd
Regular
Completed: Mage Wars
Projects: Falling Star
Organization: Star Guide

How do I change the quick menu idle and hover images?

#1 Post by dmasterxd »

I read the GUI Documentation (multiple times) but it wasn’t very clear on where exactly I am supposed to define them. It just said what the name of the files were. And I already replaced those, but still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you.

(If you can help me know where I’m supposed to change the images for the sliders as well that would also be greatly appreciated).

Matalla
Veteran
Completed: Max Power and the Egyptian Beetle Case, The Candidate, The Last Hope, El cajón del viejo escritorio, Clementina y la luna roja, Caught in Orbit, Dirty Business Ep 0, Medianoche de nuevo, The Lost Smile
itch: matalla-interactive

Re: How do I change the quick menu idle and hover images?

#2 Post by Matalla »

dmasterxd wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:03 pm I read the GUI Documentation (multiple times) but it wasn’t very clear on where exactly I am supposed to define them. It just said what the name of the files were. And I already replaced those, but still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you.

(If you can help me know where I’m supposed to change the images for the sliders as well that would also be greatly appreciated).
By default, the quickmenu has textbuttons, so there are no images to replace. You can either replace the textbuttons with your own imagebuttons or define the background of the textbuttons with your own backgrounds (or make imagebuttons with text in the foreground).

All the images related to bars are by default in "gui/bar".
Comunidad Ren'Py en español (Discord)
Honest Critique

dmasterxd
Regular
Completed: Mage Wars
Projects: Falling Star
Organization: Star Guide

#3 Post by dmasterxd »

Matalla wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:32 pm
By default, the quickmenu has textbuttons, so there are no images to replace. You can either replace the textbuttons with your own imagebuttons or define the background of the textbuttons with your own backgrounds (or make imagebuttons with text in the foreground).

All the images related to bars are by default in "gui/bar".
And how would I do that? That's the part I don't understand. Like where do I put the code and what is the code for it? Because I can't find the answer to either of those things anywhere (I've already commissioned the background for it).

Matalla
Veteran
Completed: Max Power and the Egyptian Beetle Case, The Candidate, The Last Hope, El cajón del viejo escritorio, Clementina y la luna roja, Caught in Orbit, Dirty Business Ep 0, Medianoche de nuevo, The Lost Smile
itch: matalla-interactive

#4 Post by Matalla »

dmasterxd wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:54 am And how would I do that? That's the part I don't understand. Like where do I put the code and what is the code for it? Because I can't find the answer to either of those things anywhere (I've already commissioned the background for it).
Under the quick menu screen in screens.rpy should be the style definitions for it.

So, locate

Code: Select all

screen quick_menu():
Then, scroll down a little and find this

style quick_button:
    properties gui.button_properties("quick_button")
Below, you can add aditional properties that overwrite de default ones. For example, something like this:

style quick_button:
    properties gui.button_properties("quick_button")
    idle_background "gui/button/bt_qm_idle.png"
    hover_background "gui/button/bt_qm_hover.png"
If you want to modify the text properties, do it below "style quick_button_text:".

With the style inspector is easy to find the style you want to modify; put the mouse over the element you want to change and press Shift+i, there you can see the stile applied to it. Search for its definition and add or modify the properties. Here you can find what properties can be applied to every element:
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/style_properties.html
Comunidad Ren'Py en español (Discord)
Honest Critique