Having the textbox stretch during specific parts of script?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
SpicyMayo1429
Regular

Having the textbox stretch during specific parts of script?

#1 Post by SpicyMayo1429 »

So there are some parts within my game where there is more text than what fits in the text box, because I have things listed on a new line each. I don't want to change the size of my textbox entirely (because I don't normally have a lot of text). I only want to have it stretch during those bits where there's lots of text. I don't want to split up my text because it is what is being shown during an input command. Here's some example as too what I'm looking for:

This is what the normal textbox is.
Textbox norm 1.jpg
This is my problem. You can't see what you input/type.
Textbox issue 1.jpg
This is what I would like, without having to change all of my textboxes. At the bottom you'd be able to see your input/typing area.
Textbox goals 1.jpg
I'm using version 7.1.3. I know how to change the overall size of the textboxes in the GUI pages but can't seem to figure out how to change it for a specific spot in my script.

Here's my code if it helps:

Code: Select all

label t_input_1:

$ command = renpy.input("•Activate voice command. \n•Show stats. \n•Check the server. \n•Open system access. \n•Show stats. \n•Check the server. \n•Open system access.")
    if command == "Activate voice command.":
        "Voice command activated."
        jump t_input_1

Matalla
Veteran
Completed: Max Power and the Egyptian Beetle Case, The Candidate, The Last Hope, El cajón del viejo escritorio, Clementina y la luna roja, Caught in Orbit, Dirty Business Ep 0, Medianoche de nuevo, The Lost Smile
itch: matalla-interactive

Re: Having the textbox stretch during specific parts of script?

#2 Post by Matalla »

You can do it with style preferences
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/style.ht ... preference

Instead of using a button like the example in the manual, you simply use renpy.set_style_preference before changing from one style to another. You'll have to define the normal style and the alternative one in order to change them, but you only need to define the properties that change from the default syle (and do it in both styles).
Comunidad Ren'Py en español (Discord)
Honest Critique

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

Re: Having the textbox stretch during specific parts of script?

#3 Post by isobellesophia »

You can also change the ypos of the text or the size, just my opinion.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.