[SOLVED] Need help with CTC..

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
CatMoun
Projects: Komoneko

[SOLVED] Need help with CTC..

#1 Post by CatMoun »

Hey, I'm new to the Ren'Py engine and it proved me to be a powerful tool for the kind of game I wanna make. I'm looking forward to make a sound novel just like Umineko and Higurashi When They Cry series. I searched everywhere for how to make a Click To Continue button appears on the text not on the bottom of the screen.

I know there's some post here on this forums solving this but it looks like they use an old version of the engine and I really don't want to necro old posts.

First of all there's what I want my game to look like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma6uHiAgJ9c

(I'm really sorry I don't know how to embed a YouTube video here on this forums)

What I did so far is to add a CTC action on screen.rpy like so:

Code: Select all

screen ctc(arg=None):

image "arrow.png":
        at ctc_appear
        xalign 0.98
        yalign 0.98

transform ctc_appear:
    alpha 0.0
    pause 0.5
    linear 0.5 alpha 1.0
Then I added this code to script.rpy and been using NVL mode to write everything:

Code: Select all

define narrator = nvl_narrator
define menu = nvl_menu
What should I do to my game so it looks like the Higurashi When They Cry series?
Last edited by CatMoun on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johan
Regular
Organization: DMEOW
itch: dmeow
Discord: Johan#7444

Re: Need help with CTC..

#2 Post by Johan »

Firstly, hey! I'm another fan of Ryukishi's work!
(Although I've only *read* the whole visual novel of Umineko but I've watched the anime of Higurashi.)

Now, about the CTC, it's not necessary for you to create a whole new screen for a CTC.
I remember being a thread in the Cookbook subforum. Here it is! I think it still works even now.
dmeow !
Check my silly blog!

◤ And I saw the stars ★ falling down... ◢
Check the game!! IT'S OUT!!!

CatMoun
Projects: Komoneko

Re: Need help with CTC..

#3 Post by CatMoun »

Yay!! It actually worked!!! Thank you so much Johan!

Btw Ryukishi's works are great! I read the first chapter of Umineko already and began reading the second one but then I lost the files I had. I intend on reading them again once I buy them on Steam (since I'm reading the Higurashi ones for now hehe)