Paused problem

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
FurFles-

Paused problem

#1 Post by FurFles- »

I'm making a system where the player can not advance during a dubbed phrase (I'm using a song as an example)

When the music starts the game usually pauses more if the player clicks on the screen the game advances for the last time (until the pause is over) and it is in black screen

How do I make a text appear on the screen during this time?

This is the code:

Code: Select all

label start:

"I'll show you a song"

play music "CorduroyDreams.mp3"
    "Coduroy Dreams"
    $ renpy.pause(205, hard="true")

"liked?"

return

And here the prints of what happens and also a video on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/n5N9rwynmeM

Are you seeing? How do I keep "Corduroy Dreams" on the screen without the player being able to move?

nature1996
Regular

Re: Paused problem

#2 Post by nature1996 »

First thing first, unskipable cutscene are the bane of repeat player. You might want to consider to force stop skipping right before starting it, but keeping the player from doing anything... Basically, just make sure it is needed to see it every time. There is probably a way to disable clicking for the duration, but that's not ideal either (no save/ no load/ no quit)

Barring that, what kind of text? You might want to consider playing a video with the animation if you want something dynamic. Also, you could consider using timer and pause to time the interaction with the song.

If it is only about keeping one line on screen, then you could turn it into a displayable (screen and such)

Lastly, you could add "{nw}" at the end of the line before the pause, making it go to the next automatically. If I'm right, it will pause then show the next line directly.
Je parle aussi français