Variable-length parameter lists and the Animation class

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Ignis_Umbrae

Variable-length parameter lists and the Animation class

#1 Post by Ignis_Umbrae »

Greetings!

To make life a little easier for myself, I wrote a small snippet of Python which retrieves all images from a directory, taking an animation speed and returning a tuple (stored in tools.py):

Code: Select all

import os

def animList(path,speed):
    alist = []
    for f in os.listdir(path): alist = alist+[f,speed]
    return tuple(alist)
However, when I go to use this with Python's asterisk notation for variable-length parameter lists like so:

init:
    $ import tools
    $ pw = Character(u"Phoenix",color="#ffffff")
    image pw point talk = Animation(*tools.animList("img/phoenix/pointing-t",0.16))
Ren'Py throws a syntax error. Why? The code works perfectly under the Python interpreter; what is Ren'Py baulking over? Even if I first assign the result of calling tools.animList as above in a variable (x, say) and then call Animation(*x), a syntax error is thrown.

Any assistance very much appreciated. Thanks!

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

Re: Variable-length parameter lists and the Animation class

#2 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

two things come to mind:
1. are you normally allowed to use a variable containing a character as part of an image name? That seems like it would confuse renpy.

2. perhaps renpy doesn't like using asterisks that way. If that's the case, it might work to define the animation separately in a statement starting with a $, then set it equal to point talk.

Ignis_Umbrae

#3 Post by Ignis_Umbrae »

Edit 3: the problem appears to be to do with relative paths. Specifying the full path (here "C:/renpy-6.9.2/PWAAish/game/img/phoenix/pointing-t/") fixes the problems, but using the relative path ("img/phoenix/pointing-t") causes an error. Does tools.py implicitly run from a different base path to the main script or something?

georgmay
Regular
Projects: Restriction

#4 Post by georgmay »

You need a full path.
Maybe this will help you.

image pw point talk = Animation(*tools.animList(config.gamedir + "/img/phoenix/pointing-t",0.16))
and, i think, import tools you need replace to

init python:
    import tools
Returned