Unable to move names without moving the namebox with it

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
rocket_shot

Unable to move names without moving the namebox with it

#1 Post by rocket_shot »

I have no idea what I'm doing. This is my first time programming anything outside of basic HTML and CSS stuff. So bear with me here, please. I have a weird namebox. It's tilted slightly, and for a while I couldn't figure out how to rotate the names. I now have that figured out. But the problem I face now is centering the names to the namebox. Every time that I try to move the name, it moves the namebox as well. I've included two picture samples. One where the usage of "define gui.name_xpos = 0.81" is present and the other where "define gui.name_xpos = 0.88" is used. This is the only change between the two.
Attachments
define gui.name_xpos = 0.88
define gui.name_xpos = 0.88
define gui.name_xpos = 0.81
define gui.name_xpos = 0.81

Matalla
Veteran
Completed: Max Power and the Egyptian Beetle Case, The Candidate, The Last Hope, El cajón del viejo escritorio, Clementina y la luna roja, Caught in Orbit, Dirty Business Ep 0, Medianoche de nuevo, The Lost Smile
itch: matalla-interactive

Re: Unable to move names without moving the namebox with it

#2 Post by Matalla »

By default, the name and the namebox is the same element (in the sense that one goes where the other goes), so changing the position would move both. You should try changing the values of gui.namebox_borders in gui.rpy, and/or the padding of the namebox style in screens.rpy.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español (Discord)
Honest Critique

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

Re: Unable to move names without moving the namebox with it

#3 Post by xavimat »

You could try changing the offset values of the text inside the window in the "say" screen (file: screens.rpy).
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)