Package RenPy Games So It Is Not a Folder When Unzipped?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ArizaLuca
Veteran
Completed: Through the Screen, Riddle Me This, Trust Fall, Phobias, Another Adventure
Projects: The Souls in the Seams, Fata Morgana, Minecraft: Story Mode - Behind the Scenes
Organization: Astral Autumn Games
Tumblr: astralautumngames
Deviantart: ArizaLuca
itch: astralautumngames

Package RenPy Games So It Is Not a Folder When Unzipped?

#1 Post by ArizaLuca »

Hello!

What I am trying to do is package the Ren'Py game so that when you open it up on Windows, it doesn't show up within a folder in which you can access the files that are within the game. While I get that this can make for fun gameplay, in this case it just opens everything up and I want it to just show up as a single icon that you can click on and open the game, with the icon.

Speaking of the icon, I packaged the builds with the icon files included (.icns and .ico files) and instead of producing a file where the build showed up as not the Ren'Py mascot, it just... produced the same Ren'Py mascot as always?

When you open the app it displays the correct icon, but not there.
Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 9.55.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 9.55.54 AM.png (13.58 KiB) Viewed 522 times
How do you

a) Package the build so that you can only click on an icon, rather than seeing this
Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 10.00.06 AM.png
b) Make the icon in the window not the Ren'Py mascot? I placed it in the base directory (as instructed by other forums) and it just produced the mascot when packaged, as shown in the first picture.
Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 10.01.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 10.01.21 AM.png (16.22 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Thank you!

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Package RenPy Games So It Is Not a Folder When Unzipped?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

It's impossible to package the build with *only* an icon since it requires a data folder. The icon is merely the .exe file like most videogames. You need to add the file extensions you want to either pack or remove in the bottom of options.rpy. Usually you only need to pack .rpyc and remove .rpy and .rpyb.

I have no idea what's up with the icon. I know there is an icon replacer for .exe files out there that could work.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love, unknown
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations

Re: Package RenPy Games So It Is Not a Folder When Unzipped?

#3 Post by xavimat »

For windows, you can use the files built with renpy, to create an installer. This will create a single .exe file that will install your game in windows and create shortcuts where the user wants.
Renpy does not create installers, you can use "Inno Setup" to create them, it's free: http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)