Noob, but still a valid question.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Silverfox

Noob, but still a valid question.

#1 Post by Silverfox »

When I go into the site to download Ren'Py, I can download the zip file just fine. When I go to extract it and use it, however, the extracter program says there's nothing there, and when I try to go into the zipped file, the file says it's corrupted or fragmented. Is there something wrong with the site?

Maybe I'm just not using something I should be. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, since this is the first time I've tried to download and use Ren'Py.

Thanks. ^_^
~Silverfox <(o.o)> ~~~>

darkknight
Veteran

#2 Post by darkknight »

I might be wrong but have you unzipped the fine...If not get winzip or a free unzipper or maybe it got messed up during download try to redownload it if that dont work ummm

Pytom all yours
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#3 Post by Megaman Z »

hmm... okay, that's two people that have had this happen with the files... my advice? keep trying. ShiraiJunichi ended up with a similar file problem (let's see... his was that, without using any programs [like winzip or winrar], he got a "file is corrupt or invalid" error message...). if you aren't using an archiving program (Winzip works, use winrar for any *.rar files you download, though...), try using one. I've had no errors using Winzip.

(granted, some sites just have trouble with compressed archives in general. I've actually had to download one file about 15 times before I got a working copy of the file...)
~Kitsune Zeta

Silverfox

#4 Post by Silverfox »

Thanks, I'll try WinZip, and let you know if I have any problems.

It's nice to see how prompt and helpful people are! ^_^ I shall definitely lurk here.

[EDIT]: I'm still having problems with it, even using WinZip. It's saying that the file is invalid. Is there any way I can get the program through a secondary source?

Problem: End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not a Zip file, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part Zip file.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#5 Post by mikey »

Perhaps you're using a download manager that doesn't put together the file correctly? Try the classic approach if you haven't done it already.

And, what helped me once wth corrupted files was to redownload the file to a completely different place on your hard disk (another dorectory or even drive).

Also, WinRar has the option of fixing archives and all that... if everything else fails.

good luck

Silverfox

#6 Post by Silverfox »

<clings to Megaman Z> Wai! I got it, finally! Thank you for emailing it to me, I appreciate it. ^__^ Normally, people wouldn't be so nice on a forum, trust me, I know, but this place gets me all warm and fuzzeh. I shall certainly be staying here and sharing my games as I make them.

^__^

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#7 Post by mikey »

Silverfox wrote:I shall certainly be staying here and sharing my games as I make them.
Got another one! Welcome! :P :wink:

Beta
Regular

#8 Post by Beta »

Silverfox wrote:<clings to Megaman Z>
umm... you might want to let go of him... when people just grab him and hold on to him, he gets a little... uncontrollable. I've learned that one through observation. (that, and he's a little hypersensitive... wait, did I say he's a little hypersensitive? I meant very hypersensitive.)

Silverfox

#9 Post by Silverfox »

<lets go hastily and puts her hands behind her back> O_o Sorry. I had no idea.

<ducks down, cowering> Plaease don't eat me. o.o;;

Thankee for the welcome, though.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Megaman Z »

okay, you've almost emotionally scarred (sp?) me. (I say almost because this has happened before. I won't go into details, but it wasn't pretty... and afterwards, the girl wasn't pretty, either.)

(and it's not my nature to eat people. the only human-produced product I ingest is blood. and that's when it comes out my nose [or mouth, but I've already lost my "baby" teeth, so it shouldn't bleed anymore].)

[I'm sooooo gonna get flamed for the above statements...]
~Kitsune Zeta

darkknight
Veteran

#11 Post by darkknight »

Silverfox wrote:<clings to Megaman Z> Wai! I got it, finally! Thank you for emailing it to me, I appreciate it. ^__^ Normally, people wouldn't be so nice on a forum, trust me, I know, but this place gets me all warm and fuzzeh. I shall certainly be staying here and sharing my games as I make them.

^__^
Oh man...You mean your staying....not another one
J/K

Well welcome and make sure to sign the intro thread or the guest tread
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

Skittle Sama

#12 Post by Skittle Sama »

I can't even begin to tell you how many times that I've tried to download the newest Rem'Py elease and it simply just is 'corrupted' over and over and over.

It's frustrating. I may have to bring a disc to campus and download/burn it there. I don't think that it's my computer though if someone else is having the same problem.

That makes me feel a bit better about it...

Silverfox

#13 Post by Silverfox »

I'll send it to you, one moment, and check your email. ^_^

Happy to share the love!

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Megaman Z »

umm... two things

A)Silverfox>>you have version 4.8.5?

B)Skittle sama, two things:

i)where have you been? haven't heard from you in a while

ii)try firefox. it hasn't quite failed too many times... except on a couple select files from unstable servers.
~Kitsune Zeta

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#15 Post by PyTom »

Okay, I think I fixed the download problem. It seemed to be a problematic interaction between MSIE 5.0 (ancient) and mod_deflate. I turned back the settings on mod_deflate, and hopefully that fixed it.

Let me know.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom