Ren'Py 7.3.2 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
trajano
Regular
Github: trajano

Re: Ren'Py 7.3.2 Released

#16 Post by trajano »

@jack_morton I figured out the problem I just had to create a change to the rapt to tell me what it is seeing. It's just my JDK is in "Program Files" and my JAVA_HOME has quotes around it to compensate. So I just used Progra~1 https://github.com/renpy/renpy/issues/1919

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#17 Post by jack_norton »

Ah interesting, that should be simple to fix anyway :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#18 Post by jack_norton »

Speaking of RAPT, I got the email from Google Play about 64-bit apps. I don't understand one thing though: we now need to submit two separate APKs (the 32 and 64 bit) on every Google Play update or not? how does this work ?
computer games

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#19 Post by Imperf3kt »

You need to make your game 64bit only.
Google is trying to drop support for 32bit.

If you don't make your game 64bit by the deadline, it won't be removed, but you won't be able to update it again and will need to resubmit it in future as 64bit.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by jack_norton »

Ah OK true, I got confused by the wording on Google's email:
Please note that we are not making changes to our policy on 32-bit support. Google Play will continue to deliver apps with 32-bit native code to 32-bit devices. The requirement means that those apps will need to have a 64-bit version as well.
"continuing to deliver 32-bit apps" I thought it mean we needed to upload both 32 and 64 bit versions :lol:
computer games

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#21 Post by Zetsubou »

I got another one of those emails yesterday, in spite of the fact that I've uploaded new builds made using Renpy 7.3.2.
I suspect it's because the supported API levels have changed since the old builds were uploaded.
ie. The old 32bit APKs will still be served to Android 4.x and below, since the new 64bit builds target 5.0 as the minimum API.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#22 Post by Imperf3kt »

The API Ren'py uses targets Android 8, it should exceed the requirements.

I haven't personally updated my solitary app on Google Play, intending to remove it. I could give it an update and see if I get the same issue.

By the way, Google has a LOT of emails to dispatch, (just look at how many apps their store caters to), perhaps the email is just late in delivery? It can take weeks for them to reach you in a list of millions.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#23 Post by Zetsubou »

Android 8 is indeed the target.
What I'm saying is that 5 is now the minimum, whereas it used to be lower.
So if you have an existing app which supports Android 4, those users won't get the new builds.
Hence the warning even after uploading new builds, since users running older systems would still be served the old 32bit-only version.

Nothing to worry about. This is all how it should work. I just wanted to clarify for anyone concerned about getting these warnings even after uploading the new builds.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#24 Post by jack_norton »

Hmm I don't know if it's because I updated to the latest Java, but I can't build APK anymore, I get the usual memory message even if memory is set at minimum:

Code: Select all

Expiring Daemon because JVM Tenured space is exhausted

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Gradle build daemon has been stopped: JVM garbage collector thrashing and after running out of JVM memory

* Try:
Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

* Exception is:
org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.api.DaemonStoppedException: Gradle build daemon has been stopped: JVM garbage collector thrashing and after running out of JVM memory
	at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.DaemonStateCoordinator.waitForCommandCompletion(DaemonStateCoordinator.java:327)
	at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.DaemonStateCoordinator.runCommand(DaemonStateCoordinator.java:302)
	at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.StartBuildOrRespondWithBusy.doBuild(StartBuildOrRespondWithBusy.java:54)
	at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.BuildCommandOnly.execute(BuildCommandOnly.java:36)
	at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.api.DaemonCommandExecution.proceed(DaemonCommandExecution.java:122)
	at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.ReturnResult.execute(ReturnResult.java:36)
	at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.api.DaemonCommandExecution.proceed(DaemonCommandExecution.java:122)
	at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.api.HandleReportStatus.execute(HandleReportStatus.java:33)
	at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.HandleCancel.execute(HandleCancel.java:37)
	at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.api.HandleStop.execute(HandleStop.java:45)
	at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.DaemonCommandExecuter.executeCommand(DaemonCommandExecuter.java:48)
	at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.DefaultIncomingConnectionHandler$ConnectionWorker.handleCommand(DefaultIncomingConnectionHandler.java:160)
	at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.DefaultIncomingConnectionHandler$ConnectionWorker.receiveAndHandleCommand(DefaultIncomingConnectionHandler.java:133)
	at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.DefaultIncomingConnectionHandler$ConnectionWorker.run(DefaultIncomingConnectionHandler.java:121)
	at org.gradle.internal.concurrent.ExecutorPolicy$CatchAndRecordFailures.onExecute(ExecutorPolicy.java:63)
	at org.gradle.internal.concurrent.ManagedExecutorImpl$1.run(ManagedExecutorImpl.java:46)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
	at org.gradle.internal.concurrent.ThreadFactoryImpl$ManagedThreadRunnable.run(ThreadFactoryImpl.java:55)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

* Get more help at https://help.gradle.org
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx512M

The build seems to have failed.
Going to try close everything and restart the computer, usually that was the best system to make Android builds work now...!
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#25 Post by jack_norton »

Basically the builds work "randomly". There isn't a clear way. THey work like 1 out of 10 attempts or more. Trying everything, like restarting the PC, shutting down other apps, etc. Now I uploaded a broken version of an app and I can't fix it because it always gives me out of memory error! :lol:
I hope to get this working and then I'm not touching Android again until there's a reliable way to get builds working. Not blaming Pytom of course, the new Android system to build APK is a huge pain in the ass compared with before (was ALWAYS working!) :(
computer games