How to add imagemap age verification after splashscreen and before main_menu screen?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
UnitedAIRWAYS

How to add imagemap age verification after splashscreen and before main_menu screen?

#1 Post by UnitedAIRWAYS »

Hello, I've recently came across such issue and got here in order to ask you experts about it:)

What I'm trying to do in my renpy game is the following:
Launch game -> splashscreen (game logo) pops up -> screen with age verification pops up(using imagemap, if user clicks he's over 18 then it jumps to the main_menu screen, if he clicks he's not, the game closes) -> main_menu or exit

I've been trying to solve this by using beforesplashscreen, but it didn't turn out... Should I use a custom screen for this, or modify splashscreen? Also, how do I add an imagemap directly to the screen? When I try to do so, an error about incorrect screen language appears.

I'd be ultimately thankful if you help me with this, my project would skyrocket from there

Cheers

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: How to add imagemap age verification after splashscreen and before main_menu screen?

#2 Post by Alex »

How did you do your splashscreen (game logo) - is it a presplash image or you've made it using splashscreen label?
You can put age verification inside a splashscreen label.

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/label.ht ... ial-labels

UnitedAIRWAYS

Re: How to add imagemap age verification after splashscreen and before main_menu screen?

#3 Post by UnitedAIRWAYS »

Thanks Alex for the reply, I've done splashscreen using a splashscreen label. I have an image (basically imagemap; with ground, idle and hover versions) which I'd like to use as said age verification, separately from game logo screen (splashscreen)

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Alex »

Well, then in splashscreen label you can show logo and then show age verification screen or just use standard menu to ask player if (s)he 18+.

UnitedAIRWAYS

#5 Post by UnitedAIRWAYS »

How do I add screen to a label? I'm kind of newbie in this

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

Note: code untested, merely for demonstration. May work, may not.

Use either a call or a jump.

Code: Select all

call screen age_verification

In your case, I'd use a call and in the action of your "yes, I'm old enough" button, add something like this

textbutton "yes" action Return("old_enough") 
Then you can do a check based on the _return variable.

if _return == "old_enough":
        pass
    else:
    renpy.quit()

Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

UnitedAIRWAYS

#7 Post by UnitedAIRWAYS »

I don't mean to add a textbutton, because I have a separate imagemap to handle this. Thanks for the code anyway:D

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#8 Post by Imperf3kt »

You can use it with imagemaps also.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

UnitedAIRWAYS

#9 Post by UnitedAIRWAYS »

Okay, your code worked with the imagemap twist. Big thanks!

Amber96

#10 Post by Amber96 »

I'd like to use as said age verification, separately from game logo screen (splashscreen)