Ren'Py No Longer Detecting Java JDK

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Crazy Li
Regular

Ren'Py No Longer Detecting Java JDK

#1 Post by Crazy Li » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:46 am

So only a month ago, I made an Android build of my game, installing the JDK and going through all the process, successfully compiling it to a .apk that I put on my phone, launched, and played no issue. Now just yesterday, I tried to make an updated build and suddenly it doesn't work? I click on the only option (Install SDK & Create Keys) and it says it's building a test game or something and then errors out telling me that if I don't have the Java JDK, I can download it from Oracle's website... but I obviously DO have the JDK because I just successfully went through this process just last month and nothing's changed since then. I even went and double-checked to ensure I still had Java JDK installed and yep, I do. I have no clue why Ren'py can't find it any longer and thinks it doesn't exist. Could it somehow be looking in the wrong place all of a sudden? If so, how can I fix that?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ren'Py No Longer Detecting Java JDK

#2 Post by PyTom » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:12 pm

Ren'Py has changed the JDK it requires. It used to require the 32-bit Java 8, now it requires the 64-bit Java 8 to run. That could be the problem.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
"Silly and fun things are important." - Elon Musk
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom