[SOLVED]"Return button doesn't working" even though the game still runs

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kashahime

[SOLVED]"Return button doesn't working" even though the game still runs

#1 Post by Kashahime »

Hi, I'm making a sub-screen as a character info screen for my Characters Profile screen. Things went smoothly and ran smoothly until the return button didn't work (although the game still runs well, nothing happend when I click on the button).
If it just normal main menu-linking screen like "about" or "preferences" (that open by ShowMenu() ), the button works perfectly, but when it comes to other screen opens by 'Show()', it doesn't work.

Code: Select all

imagebutton idle "gui/button/mainmenu_return_button.png" xpos 1173 ypos 617 action Return() activate_sound "music/click_sound_return.mp3"

I tried to change the destination of the button by change it from Return() to ShowMenu("profile") and Show("profile"), still nothing happened.
Can someone tell me why and help me solve this case?
PS: I'm a completely newbie both in Ren'Py and Python

Since I'm not sure where the problem is, I will upload both Profile screen and its sub-screen
Profile screen:

#_#_#PROFILE_SCREEN_____KAMI
screen profile():

# Ensure this replaces the main menu.
    tag menu

style_prefix "profile"

add gui.profile_background
    add gui.profile_background_frame_full

#_MAIN_CLASSIFICATION
    textbutton _("Kami") xpos 1177 ypos 58 action Show("profile") activate_sound "music/click_sound_subscreen.mp3"
    textbutton _("Human") xpos 1168 ypos 130 action Show("human") activate_sound "music/click_sound_subscreen.mp3"
    textbutton _("Shiki") xpos 1177 ypos 202 action Show("shiki") activate_sound "music/click_sound_subscreen.mp3"
    textbutton _("Youkai") xpos 1171 ypos 274 action Show("youkai") activate_sound "music/click_sound_subscreen.mp3"

#_#_#PROFILE_SCREEN_____KAMI_____START____##################
    #_#_# ____ROW ___1_______
    imagebutton idle "gui/character profile/kami_iwanaga.png" xpos 30 ypos 37 action Show("kami_iwanaga")
    imagebutton idle "gui/character profile/kami_miketsu.png" xpos 190 ypos 37 #action Show("kami_miketsu")
    imagebutton idle "gui/character profile/kami_susabi.png" xpos 350 ypos 37 #action Show("kami_susabi")
    imagebutton idle "gui/character profile/kami_amaterasu.png" xpos 510 ypos 37 #action Show("kami_amaterasu")

imagebutton idle "gui/button/mainmenu_return_button.png" xpos 1173 ypos 617 action Return() activate_sound "music/click_sound_return.mp3"
Sub-screen:

#_#_IWANAGA_
screen kami_iwanaga():

tag menu3

style_prefix "kami_iwanaga"

add gui.profile_background
    add gui.character_profile_iwanaga
    add gui.character_profile_contents_box_iwanaga

Last edited by Kashahime on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enchant00
Regular

Re: "Return button doesn't working" even though the game still runs

#2 Post by Enchant00 »

Hmm yeah, I don't see to see what's wrong with your code. Since you used the tag menu, it should replace the game_menu and return back to game. If you're just trying to go back to the game from the menu, try to hide the screen instead.

imagebutton idle "gui/button/mainmenu_return_button.png" xpos 1173 ypos 617 action Hide("profile") activate_sound "music/click_sound_return.mp3"
If that still doesn't work, then there might be some problem with how your profile screen is shown. So, if the problem somehow persists let's try calling your screen manually.

We will first change the key_bindings. We remove the buttons associated to opening the game menu.

init:
    $ config.keymap['game_menu'].remove('K_ESCAPE')
    $ config.keymap['game_menu'].remove('K_MENU')
    $ config.keymap['game_menu'].remove('mouseup_3')
We then create a screen to change the keymaps and call your profile screen.

screen debug_button:
    key "K_ESCAPE" action Call('Profile')
    key "K_MENU" action Call('Profile')
    key "mouseup_3" action Call('Profile')
We then make sure that at the start of the game, the screen remap_menu is shown first before anything else
Script.rpy

# This is to remove the associated buttons for game_menu
init:
    $ config.keymap['game_menu'].remove('K_ESCAPE')
    $ config.keymap['game_menu'].remove('K_MENU')
    $ config.keymap['game_menu'].remove('mouseup_3')

screen remap_menu:
    key "K_ESCAPE" action Call('Profile')
    key "K_MENU" action Call('Profile')
    key "mouseup_3" action Call('Profile')

# The game starts here.

label start:
    show screen remap_menu

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Alex »

screen kami_iwanaga():

tag menu3 #<--- menu 3 ?!
Looks like this menu doesn't replace others...

Kashahime

#4 Post by Kashahime »

Alex wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:23 pm

screen kami_iwanaga():

tag menu3 #<--- menu 3 ?!
Looks like this menu doesn't replace others...
Yeah.... when I changed it back to menu then its return to main menu screen normally, however what I need is to return to the profile screen, but I don't know how to set up the tag for the profile screen TT-TT. Is there any way to do it?

EDIT: Ah no, I found it out. Turned out I just need to change Return() to ShowMenu("profile"). Thank you for your time.