[solved] Problems translating screen voice variable

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

[solved] Problems translating screen voice variable

#1 Post by ComputerArt.Club » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:27 am

I have voice recordings that I want to play in a screen, but it is not coming up in the translation scripts. The voice file name is a variable, it works for English, but for other languages it also just plays English.

Code: Select all

on "show" action Queue ("voice", _([quiz_voice]))
I get errors if I add "", presumably as that would make it a string, though I think it also makes it appear in the translation file.
I believe I need to change it to [quiz_voice!t] and then see what happens. If I add [quiz_voice!t] for the English version, it also gets an invalid syntax error.

Any ideas thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks for taking the time to read this. :)
Last edited by ComputerArt.Club on Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Andredron
Veteran

Re: Problems translating screen voice variable

#2 Post by Andredron » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:18 am

ComputerArt.Club wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:27 am
I have voice recordings that I want to play in a screen, but it is not coming up in the translation scripts. The voice file name is a variable, it works for English, but for other languages it also just plays English.

I get errors if I add "", presumably as that would make it a string, though I think it also makes it appear in the translation file.
I believe I need to change it to [quiz_voice!t] and then see what happens. If I add [quiz_voice!t] for the English version, it also gets an invalid syntax error.

Suppose the default language is None - English, his English voice files are here - game / voice / voice001.ogg and so on.

You need china voice.
China voice files, you throw in the folder:

game / tl / china / voice / voice001.ogg

Those. Files with the same name should be, so that they replace the voice of None (English), the language of china.

And that at the same time 2 languages would sound, make 2 folders in the game folder:

game / voice_en /
AND
game / voice_ch /

And you duplicate the translation in the same way:

game / tl / china / voice_en
game / tl / china / voice_ch

Where in the folder voice_en - voice china

And in the folder voice_ch - voice None (English) voice.
I know, I'm writing terribly in English.

I'm writing a Renpy textbook (in Russian). https://yadi.sk/d/ZX_DonP63USRru Update 22.06.18

Honest Critique

Andredron
Veteran

#3 Post by Andredron » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:21 am

Files must be the same format and name.

And be in similar folders.

Google translation damn ... It seems it is not clear his thought explain ...

I'm writing a Renpy textbook (in Russian). https://yadi.sk/d/ZX_DonP63USRru Update 22.06.18

Honest Critique

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

#4 Post by ComputerArt.Club » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:47 am

Andredron wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:18 am
ComputerArt.Club wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:27 am

Suppose the default language is None - English, his English voice files are here - game / voice / voice001.ogg and so on.

You need china voice.
China voice files, you throw in the folder:

game / tl / china / voice / voice001.ogg

Those. Files with the same name should be, so that they replace the voice of None (English), the language of china.

And that at the same time 2 languages would sound, make 2 folders in the game folder:

game / voice_en /
AND
game / voice_ch /

And you duplicate the translation in the same way:

game / tl / china / voice_en
game / tl / china / voice_ch

Where in the folder voice_en - voice china

And in the folder voice_ch - voice None (English) voice.
Thanks for this! You are awesome!

It looks like this could lead to the answer, though I expect it will also create new problems in the short run as I will need to undo all my previous attempts to change the names of the voice files.

For other people who are experiencing the same problem that I was, my audio files were all originally directly in the game folder, I did not have a voice subfolder, and I have now put them directly into the game\tl\chinese folder. I assume that if I had had a voice folder, it would be in game\tl\chinese\voice, it needs to mimic the relationship of the original files to the game directory. I did not need to change any code or tell Renpy where the folders were. It was automatic.

Checking the documentation again, I guess this comes under image and file translations: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/translat ... anslations

Thanks again!

Andredron
Veteran

Re: [solved] Problems translating screen voice variable

#5 Post by Andredron » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:32 am

Honest Critique