Callable object error

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Sakurazaki
Veteran
Projects: Aquae ~CCW~, Consonance

Callable object error

#1 Post by Sakurazaki »

I was trying to play through the game after adding a buttload of text and ended up with an error I guess stating that an object was uncallable/didn't exist or something. I searched the entire doc for this 'str' but came up confused and empty handed. I even removed all the text I had entered and tried to restart but nothing happened.

Code: Select all

TypeError: 'str' object is not callable

While executing init code:
 - script at line 159 of renpy-6.9.1/common/00definitions.rpy
 - python at line 161 of renpy-6.9.1/common/00definitions.rpy.
The lines in question are actually empty and deleting them did nothing.
ARC I - Summer Lights: Image
ARC II - Ocean Tide: Image

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

Re: Callable object error

#2 Post by JQuartz »

Sakurazaki wrote:The lines in question are actually empty and deleting them did nothing.
It can't be empty since this is 00definitions.rpy not script.rpy. Anyway, the a way to determine which part that's causing the error is by checking where the script is when it crashes. You can then just comment out the block to confirm it.

Another way is to just post the whole script so people can check it themselves.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

Sakurazaki
Veteran

#3 Post by Sakurazaki »

I'm unsure of which part of the script is causing the crash as it won't even allow me to launch the project.

If I want to attach my script files, what files do I attach? >.>' First time doing this sort of thing.
Last edited by Sakurazaki on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#4 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

is that the full error message?

also, it might be good to mention that when traceback mentions a "str" object it means a string. this error is probably caused by the program thinking you're trying to use a string as a function (which may or may not have anything to do with the actual problem.

I suggest looking through the recently added code to make sure there's no typos.

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#5 Post by JQuartz »

Sakurazaki wrote: it won't even allow me to launch the project.
This might be a sign that it's in an init block. Try commenting out recently added init. If you can start after commenting it, then the problem is found.

Sakurazaki wrote:If I want to attach my script files, what files do I attach?
If possible all your rpy file in your project folder.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

Sakurazaki
Veteran

#6 Post by Sakurazaki »

-_-' I got it fixed finally after some tinkering. Thanks for all the advice guys.