[SOLVED] How do I keep text from disappearing on transition?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
vilarialight

[SOLVED] How do I keep text from disappearing on transition?

#1 Post by vilarialight »

Hi there!

I'm looking for a way to keep the dialogue text in my game from disappearing while a background image transitions from one to another.

Currently, the dialogue window remains, but the character image on the left side and the text in the box vanish until the background image is done dissolving in.

This might be a really simple thing but I couldn't seem to find anything recent that worked for me and I'm pretty new to RenPy so I'm hoping someone can help me out!

Thank you!
Last edited by vilarialight on Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How do I keep text from disappearing on transition?

#2 Post by gas »

Is not exactly easy as one can figure out, as usually transitions happen inbetween two interactions (in the "void space" between lines) to change the context of narration (the scene), so no text is usually needed.
There's a complicate thing you can use, anyway: DICT TRANSITIONS.
Is a matter of defining a transition and link it to a layer with a dictionary (a python datatype in the form {"key": value}).
The last topic there:
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/transitions.html
There's a working example you can experiment with.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

vilarialight

Re: How do I keep text from disappearing on transition?

#3 Post by vilarialight »

Thank you so much!

I read over that page like a million times and couldn't seem to get into my brain how it all worked but you definitely cleared it up for me. Popping that in there was exactly what I needed.

Thanks again!