Some questions about timed choices.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
NadOtavlas
Regular

Some questions about timed choices.

#1 Post by NadOtavlas »

1. How do I add a time limit for certain menus?

2. And also, if the player lets the timer run out I want the player to be redirected back to the menu they were on after they finish the "You've run out of time" label with the timer now gone. How do I program this?

zeroTheHero
Regular

Re: Some questions about timed choices.

#2 Post by zeroTheHero »

You can use the pause(delay, hard=True) function. You add the seconds you want to pause the screen as delay, so if you want a 10 second pause you go pause(10).
To have the player redirected anywhere you use flow controls like jumps and labels. You should read the renpy quickstart guide or watch elaine's tutorials on renpy, they're both quite good.
Also, consider googling. I know it sounds silly, but just try <problem name> and <renpy>, you'd probably find a link to a similar question like yours.
Timed menu choices are really popular, such that RenpyTom (he made renpy) made a post about it. You can read it https://www.patreon.com/posts/timed-choice-11310470

Have fun!

sousarja

Re: Some questions about timed choices.

#3 Post by sousarja »

zeroTheHero wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:39 am You can use the pause(delay, hard=True) function. You add the seconds you want to pause the screen as delay, so if you want a 10 second pause you go pause(10).
To have the player redirected anywhere you use flow controls like jumps and labels. You should read the renpy quickstart guide or watch elaine's tutorials on renpy, they're both quite good.
Also, consider googling. I know it sounds silly, but just try <problem name> and <renpy>, you'd probably find a link to a similar question like yours.
Timed menu choices are really popular, such that RenpyTom (he made renpy) made a post about it. You can read it https://www.patreon.com/posts/timed-choice-11310470

Have fun!
Thanks a lot for the link, that post is "gold" for that type of usage :D
All the best