Select Menu

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
bokuman
Regular
Projects: VN 789
Deviantart: bokuman

Select Menu

#1 Post by bokuman »

Hello,

I'm trying to make a select menu, for each arc story, like a megaman level screen, i need to save some data if you complete each arc to show on select menu(changing the color buton and changing the image tooltip) how i do to save this info? im using imageswap on select menu.

Amethysts
Regular
Projects: Coalescence
itch: amethysts

Re: Select Menu

#2 Post by Amethysts »

If you want to save data outside of the game (outside from the "saves" kinda), use this pattern:

Code: Select all

persistent.custom_variable = value
persistent.arc1 = "completed"
persistent.arc1_completed = True
It will be accessible from everywhere, and is equal to None by default (do not abuse of persistent variables).

Crazy Li
Regular

#3 Post by Crazy Li »

Seeing this answer actually makes me curious... if I have multiple characters in a game and you can choose which character's path to play... this method would then be a valid way to flag whether or not a particular character's path had been completed at the end of the game, right? So then I could check and see if they've finished all characters and show some sorta bonus "true ending" type thingy?

I've kinda been wondering about the best way to store completion data and this sounds like it... though the warning about abusing it does have me a little cautious. How much is too much use of the persistent variables?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Crazy Li wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:00 pm Seeing this answer actually makes me curious... if I have multiple characters in a game and you can choose which character's path to play... this method would then be a valid way to flag whether or not a particular character's path had been completed at the end of the game, right? So then I could check and see if they've finished all characters and show some sorta bonus "true ending" type thingy?
Yes that's easily possible.

A recent thread I commented in has an example of how to use persistent variables for unlocking things at the end of a route and checking if things are unlocked mid-game.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56406

It does require you have basic knowledge of screens and conditional statements, so if you aren't sure how to use it, just say and I can alter it to something a bit more beginner friendly.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Crazy Li
Regular

#5 Post by Crazy Li »

Imperf3kt wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:34 pm
Crazy Li wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:00 pm Seeing this answer actually makes me curious... if I have multiple characters in a game and you can choose which character's path to play... this method would then be a valid way to flag whether or not a particular character's path had been completed at the end of the game, right? So then I could check and see if they've finished all characters and show some sorta bonus "true ending" type thingy?
Yes that's easily possible.

A recent thread I commented in has an example of how to use persistent variables for unlocking things at the end of a route and checking if things are unlocked mid-game.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56406

It does require you have basic knowledge of screens and conditional statements, so if you aren't sure how to use it, just say and I can alter it to something a bit more beginner friendly.
Oh no, I've made my own screens tons of times. Really, just the small example in this thread on how to set persistent variables is kinda enough for me to figure out how to approach it for my own game with regards to tracking completed paths. Your example helps provide more context though, so thanks for that!

bokuman
Regular

#6 Post by bokuman »

Not sure if is the thing that im searching... xD

im using this on my Select Charcter screen

screen select:
    tag menu

imagemap:
        ground 'gui/imagemap_select_idle.jpg'
        hover 'gui/imagemap_select_hover.jpg'

if $ cheelai_points >= 4:
        hotspot (430, 33, 238, 213) action [Hide("image_float"), Jump('cheelai_chapter')] hovered [ Play ("test_one", "sfx/click.wav"), Show("image_float", my_picture="gui/cs_cheelai_clothes_A.png", my_tt_xpos=0, my_tt_ypos=0) ] unhovered [Hide("image_float")]
        if $ cheelai_points <= 1:
        hotspot (430, 33, 238, 213) action [Hide("image_float"), Jump('cheelai_chapter')] hovered [ Play ("test_one", "sfx/click.wav"), Show("image_float", my_picture="gui/cs_cheelai_B.png", my_tt_xpos=0, my_tt_ypos=0) ] unhovered [Hide("image_float")]
and on my character script im using this on start.

label cheelai_chapter:

init:
    $ cheelai_points = 0

menu:
    "Haha, good joke.":
        jump cheelaijokes
    "I see...":
        $ cheelai_points += 1
        jump iseecheelaiisee

this thing works? or i need other method? actually doesnt works...lol

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Alex »

Some tips:
- $-sign is used only at the very beginning of code line to show that it's a single line of python code.

if cheelai_points >= 4:
- indentation do matters. The first line of code block ends with colon, and other lines of that block have an extra indentation (otherwise you'll get an error).

label cheelai_chapter:
    menu:
        "Haha, good joke.":
            jump cheelaijokes
        "I see...":
            $ cheelai_points += 1
            jump iseecheelaiisee
- code is run line by line in order it's writen (with exceptions) - viewtopic.php?f=51&t=39572#p422964
The 'init' block will be executed at init phase of game and not when player has reached the 'cheelai_chapter'.

label cheelai_chapter:
    "blah-blah"

init:
    $ cheelai_points = 0
- if you need to change the variable mid-game and properly store it, then use 'dafault' statement, 'cause everytime you run your game, variables in an init block are reset to their initial values.

default cheelai_points = 0
instead of

init:
    $ cheelai_points = 0
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/python.h ... -statement
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/save_load_rollback.html

- append brackets after screen name when you create it - it's neccessary for best performance - https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_optimization.html

screen select():

bokuman
Regular

#8 Post by bokuman »

oh! thanks! i did all changes and is working, but i noted that when i back to select screen, the button is blocked, or doesnt works now, cheelai_points = 0 on this point, but when is 30 the image shows correctly.

im using this code.

screen select():
    tag menu

imagemap:
        ground 'gui/imagemap_select_idle.jpg'
        hover 'gui/imagemap_select_hover.jpg'

if cheelai_points <= 0:
            hotspot (430, 33, 238, 213) action [Hide("image_float"), Jump('cheelai_chapter')] hovered [ Play ("test_one", "sfx/click.wav"), Show("image_float", my_picture="gui/cs_cheelai_clothes.png", my_tt_xpos=0, my_tt_ypos=0) ] unhovered [Hide("image_float")]
        if cheelai_points >= 30:
            hotspot (430, 33, 238, 213) action [Hide("image_float"), Jump('cheelai_chapter')] hovered [ Play ("test_one", "sfx/click.wav"), Show("image_float", my_picture="gui/cs_cheelai_clothes_b.png", my_tt_xpos=0, my_tt_ypos=0) ] unhovered [Hide("image_float")]

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Alex »

Try it like

if cheelai_points < 1:
elif cheelai_points >= 30:
else:
    hotspot (430, 33, 238, 213) action NullAction()