Second text outside the textbox

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
liagel
Regular

Second text outside the textbox

#1 Post by liagel »

Hello!

I thought it would be easier to do this, but after spending time on the forum looking for a solution, maybe it's not.

I would like to have a character speaking, while another make comments on what he says. These comments should appear outside the textbox, like this:

So I would have this:

Code: Select all

define mc = Character("[mc]", color="#ffffff")
define n = Character("???", color="407ee1")
And this for example:

mc "Here is my story, I'm gonna tell you how it happened."
n "{i}Yeah, maybe you should hold a lamp towards your face.{/i}" xpos 850 ypos 450 size 15 color "#407ee1"
But of course, last line give an "end of line expected" error.
I thought I could add the position, size and color in the define character, maybe it would be easier instead of writing these details at each lines ?

define n = Character("Claire", color="407ee1", something "here?")
Thank you for your help!

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

Re: Second text outside the textbox

#2 Post by Kia »

instead of a second character, you can create a screen for the comments and show that.

liagel
Regular

#3 Post by liagel »

A screen for each sentences...
I may have to go this way, yes. I hoped there would be an easier solution although :)

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

#4 Post by namastaii »

You can create a custom screen or you can look into multiple character dialogue and see if that would suit your needs but it's more restricting on how it would look I believe.
or if you want something simple but kinda repetitive , every time you want the character to comment, you can show text at a certain position on the screen every time and then hide it or even apply some kind of timer to it or something

maybe a transform that includes a position and maybe a fade animation if you wanted and then use that when showing text on the screen