List of basic things to setup notepad++ for ren'py

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
henvu50
Veteran

List of basic things to setup notepad++ for ren'py

#1 Post by henvu50 »

So far I've done this in notepad++

1. settings --> language --> check 'tab size 4 replace by space' - This replaces tab character with four spaces or else ren'py project will break, it's very important to do this.
2. settings --> style configurator --> select language python --> add 'rpy' to the 'user ext.' field (you'll see 'default ext.' = 'py pyw' + 'user ext.' = 'rpy') - This makes it so the python language is set by default when opening rpy files, so you don't have to set the language to python every time you open an rpy file.

Anything else?

hell_oh_world
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: List of basic things to setup notepad++ for ren'py

#2 Post by hell_oh_world »

henvu50 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:21 pm So far I've done this in notepad++

1. settings --> language --> check 'tab size 4 replace by space' - This replaces tab character with four spaces or else ren'py project will break, it's very important to do this.
2. settings --> style configurator --> select language python --> add 'rpy' to the 'user ext.' field (you'll see 'default ext.' = 'py pyw' + 'user ext.' = 'rpy') - This makes it so the python language is set by default when opening rpy files, so you don't have to set the language to python every time you open an rpy file.

Anything else?
It's pretty much up to your discretion. Because some of us doesn't really use Notepad++ as a text editor. Others might able to give you some suggestions.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

#3 Post by Kia »

may I suggest vscode instead?
it's much easier to set up, work with and it has renpy syntax extension ready to install.

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#4 Post by isobellesophia »

If you are intrested in other code editing, you can also try in android, there, you can find many of them, i will suggest you will use Quickedit, fast and directly edit as txt file into rpy file.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.