Using im.MatrixColor inside a conditionswitch (while using variables inside file name)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Using im.MatrixColor inside a conditionswitch (while using variables inside file name)

#1 Post by namastaii »

I can do this in Python but I didn't want to if I didn't have to as this isn't my project anyway but basically, there are images with conditionswitches and they work perfectly fine with variables in place to switch the files etc

Code: Select all

image example = ConditionSwitch(
    "condition 1 etc", "images/image_[variable].png",
    "condition 2", "images/image_[variable]_2.png")
But if I add an image manipulator to the image, it suddenly doesn't recognize the variable. I get an error saying "Can't find file "image_[variable].png" and I've tried %s and {} with .format() and it just tells me the variable is not defined.

image example = ConditionSwitch(
    "condition 1 etc", "images/image_[variable].png",
    "condition 2", im.MatrixColor("images/image_[variable].png", im.matrix.brightness(-0.2)))
Is there any way to do this while keeping it all in one image definition still? If I have to resort to creating multiple images, then I'm just going the Python route.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

Re: Using im.MatrixColor inside a conditionswitch (while using variables inside file name)

#2 Post by Kia »

try:

"images/image_{}.png".format(variable)

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Using im.MatrixColor inside a conditionswitch (while using variables inside file name)

#3 Post by namastaii »

I did haha (I commented below the first example I tried that) and yeah doesn't seem possible, I had to go with another route

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Kia »

that's odd, I just tested it and it works fine for me, maybe the initial value is missing or it's a file name mismatch.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by namastaii »

when I do it that way I get an error saying the variable doesn't exist. if I take out the im.matrixcolor then it reads the variable fine. so I don't really know. we ended up just making a .png layer to trigger in the live composite instead but yeah not sure why this wouldn't work. I asked in discord multiple times and nobody could help me.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Kia »

it always helps to pin point the problem if you create a new project and test just that part of the code in it. maybe the problem has roots in other parts of the code